S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shock question

Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shock question

Hi All,
I have an '05 AP2 GP white, with about 100K miles on it, and am considering replacing the original shocks. On the local Craig's List there is a posting for a set of new Ohlins coil over shocks with the choice of springs at what may be a good price. So I would like to know what the consensus is regarding these shocks, especially when compared to either Bilstein of adjustable Koni shocks and stock springs. I don't plan on tracking the car and use it as a DD. I just replaced the tires with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, which stick very well. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Larry
Old 08-11-2022, 03:00 PM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

Have you thought about OEM shocks? Some Honda part websites have all four available (at least for the year I checked).
Old 08-12-2022, 09:57 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Ohlins are considered one of the best suspensions you can find for our cars, for street or street track (there are other muxh more costly options that are typically track only).

They employ a dfv valve which makes them super comfy over large bumps, which allows running much firmer settings than would be tolerable on the street.

A true best of both worlds. More compliant than stock, yet more performance.

The only real downside compared to say, Bilstein (besides initial cost), is how long they last before needing a rebuild. Blistein is champ there.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:10 AM

Received 1,277 Likes on 963 Posts

Bilsteins also have longer travel...which makes them inherently better in certain situations.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:37 AM

Received 110 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd go oem. Rough and harsh (it's a sportscar/roadster after all... not a Camry)... but they're designed and built to last +100k miles at least. Top notch Showa oe brand too.

Aftermarket are designed for performance and pretty appearance (albeit high quality too [the good brands at least]), over outright longevity and durability of oe.
Yes, aftermarket stuff is rebuildable... but, I don't know anyone (for a street car) that would go through the big hassle and wait of having them rebuilt. For track/weekend/race cars; yes, I can see a rebuild is common and that makes sense.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jah2000
I'd go oem. Rough and harsh (it's a sportscar/roadster after all... not a Camry)... but they're designed and built to last +100k miles at least. Top notch Showa oe brand too.

Aftermarket are designed for performance and pretty appearance (albeit high quality too [the good brands at least]), over outright longevity and durability of oe.
Yes, aftermarket stuff is rebuildable... but, I don't know anyone (for a street car) that would go through the big hassle and wait of having them rebuilt. For track/weekend/race cars; yes, I can see a rebuild is common and that makes sense.

Have you driven a car with Ohlins or Bilstein?

I don't see why those two systems wouldn't last 60-100K under normal street use.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:47 AM

I've rode on Bilstein in different model/make cars (not S2k tho). Yes, good. But, nothing beats Japan oe brands for longevity, imo. I'd put my money on Japan quality for reliability over anything German or American (as most people would).

As for Ohlins (and Bilstein even), I've read more than a couple times of people having blown them and them needing rebuilt. Probably very rare; but still, way more common than say Showa oe (which usually only blows/leaks at well over 100k miles, lol).

Old 08-15-2022, 11:01 AM

Received 1,224 Likes on 946 Posts

I cannot speak for the Bilsteins on the S2k as I do not have them. I have been running a set for about 140,000 miles on our 3rd gen 4 runner though lol. Still just like the day I bought them. They generally have pretty durable stuff, but again, application is important.

While I normally agree with the above statements about Japans reliability, that is not across the board. Tein, for example, is 100 made in Japan I believe and their stuff is meh at very best and that is me being nice. I would never put a set on my s2k. Have used them, and will not again. Not reliable, not well built, etc.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jah2000
I've rode on Bilstein in different model/make cars (not S2k tho). Yes, good. But, nothing beats Japan oe brands for longevity, imo. I'd put my money on Japan quality for reliability over anything German or American (as most people would).

As for Ohlins (and Bilstein even), I've read more than a couple times of people having blown them and them needing rebuilt. Probably very rare; but still, way more common than say Showa oe (which usually only blows/leaks at well over 100k miles, lol).
Well...my point is that they don't make the car feel like a Camry. If anything, the car's body motions are more controlled and precise. Less harsh over sharp impacts? Yes. But you can always crank the damping up if you like that feeling.

No...there's no reason the Showa would last longer than Bilstein over the same road conditions.

I'm not sure where you're reading about blown up Ohlins or Bilstein. Its quite rare with low miles and street use. Unless they were installed improperly (too low or something).

It has nothing to do with Japan vs European quality. The Bilstein/Ohlins come with stiffer springs and the shocks perform better. So even if they wear slightly faster, you'll enjoy much better performance and ride characteristics along the way.

But rebuilds are around $800-1000 for the set.
A new set of OEM shocks is $800-1000 for the set.

I'm all for OEM stuff. But...the OEM shocks don't make much sense to me unless you favor complete originality.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Tein, for example, is 100 made in Japan I believe and their stuff is meh at very best and that is me being nice. I would never put a set on my s2k. Have used them, and will not again. Not reliable, not well built, etc.
I was speaking of Japan OE part manufacturers... Showa, Nissin, Toyota, Honda, etc.

I totally agree with Tein and a lot of JDM aftermarket parts. They are small companies and a lot are actually built cheaply and either made in China or parts sourced from China (I had plenty of jdm parts on my EG and S13 in the 90s, so did my friends; so I have some experience w them) (also, I believe the lower model Tein is made in China). A lot of people love JDM this and that... but I've always seen them as cheap, hyped, well marketed parts, made by small performance/race garages. Nowhere close in build quality to the bigger OE brands. I guess it's similar to the US market - some aftermarket brands are super high-quality, and many others are not.

This kinda sways from my point tho, and also reinforces it... I was purely speaking of OE (made in Japan or not) vs aftermarket. My point really was, OE is more reliable (whether MiJ or not).

I had 2 TRD trucks (Tacoma and Tundra) too in the early 00s... had oem yellow Bilsteins. Still, I feel/bet those were much different than aftermarket silver PSS Bilsteins (like you'd get for the S2k in the aftermarket). As I've read they'd have to pass Toyota's super rigorous durability testing.
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (08-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Shock question