S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Should I stay away from 00-01 S2k?

Old 02-28-2003, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most of the published changes between '01 and '02 are cosmetic. There was something about "improved transmission" yet nobody has anything concrete on what was actually changed. I always thought my '01 transmission shifted great.

For '01s, there have been some TSBs regarding:

(1) updated clutch to reduce decel "buzz" (never bothered me so I didn't pursue having it done on mine, plus some people came out with more problems than they went in with as it requires removing the steering rack);
(2) roof strikers (updated design)
(3) spark plugs (do a search, I think the originals had improper crush washers)

There's a lot of debate over a change in the oil bolts that showed up here in mid 2002. In Europe, there was a full recall. Here, some replaced them on their own nickel, yet the "official" unofficial word from Honda America is that there is no need for a recall here. Yet.

Who knows about more Hp... this came up with the Integra Type R when the '00 and '01s came out... there was some minor change to the camshaft part no. and endless debate over whether it made more power than the '97-98 versions. Last I checked, there was nothing conclusive about the change other than it was a different part number. It made for interesting debate over beers though.

I entirely agree with liquid215 that the '00-'01 is more "hardcore" in that it has no frills. I liked the carpet and full metal shift knob. I would have liked the glass window with a defrost, but hey, it's a convertible. I was able to keep my rear plastic reasonably clear without too much trouble. The plastic window, eventually, will need to be replaced as they oxidize in the sun and crack. It's not a huge deal to replace one though.

As for the stereo upgrade -- it was "improved" from "horrible" to "poor". If you want Hi-Fi, the S2000 is the wrong car.

The remainder of the cosmetics that I could tell was chrome rings around the lights (front and rear), silver rings around the door pulls, and a lighter shade on the trim for the radio and dash. Personally, I didn't care for the chrome trim bits myself, but that's a matter of taste.

Oh, and the '02 has an aluminum dead pedal that matched the other pedals.

Anyways, all this talk is making me miss my 2001. You should be able to land a very nice '01 right now for about $27-28K from a dealer, probably less. As the economy heads further downhill, the used S2000 market is ripe with great buys.

Good luck and keep the rubber on the road!
Old 02-28-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by cyman33
If the New S2000 has a dyno of 5 more hp...then why do they still say its 240 as opposed to 245?

The 00-01 S2K had 237hp. They just rounded it up a bit to 240hp.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:37 AM

BTW, if you like to put the top down, in the middle of nowhere, waiting at the light, when the top is dirty, you need to get '02+. The plastic window is hard to take care of.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:59 AM

IMO the plastic window isn't hard to care for at all. I don't use anything to care for the top when it is down, no mats or towels or tubes, nothing at all & my plastic window is in good shape. Actually my top is down for about 5 months straight a year(hardtop is on) & the only visible problem when i put the softtop back up is 2 horizontal creases on the window that removes easily w/ alittle 3M plastic window polish.

The biggest mistake imo that i wish i never did w/ the plastic window was try to clean the inside of it. Its so difficult to clean the inside of the window because of where its located. Its almost impossible not to miss buffing out some of the polish that you apply to it on the inside. If you don't buff off all of the polish it will leave hazing thats very difficult to get rid of. When i replace my plastic window w/ a new one later on in the future i do not plan on cleaning the inside of it. No-one ever touches the inside of it(no fingerprints) & unless your a smoker i can't see it hazing up.

Good luck w/ your decision on which year to purchase
Old 02-28-2003, 12:15 PM

If the price is right there is no reason why you should steer clear of my 00-01. If you like 02+ upgrades most can be accomplished easily and without a whole lot of $$ except for the top. If you are lucky enough you might find a 02+ top and frame on the board, if you have to have the glass window. I know I could not resist when I found a frame and top for $500 from another member.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:17 PM

If you own a 00-01 jus tint the rear window with static cling tint and it all looks the same. And there is also less maintenance, just clean the tint when you wash your car.

I haven't experienced the 1-2 grind people complain about, so if you can get a 00-01 for a good price go for it.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't forget that the 02+03 had ECU changes so it makes 5 whp, dyno proven.
Actually, it's proven otherwise.

Search this board for dyno day results. With ONE exception (one specific dyno day with very few cars) all results show that the 2002's are dynoing within the SAME range as all of the other cars -- which is 190-205 RWHP.

Honestly, it amazes me how the Internet spreads rumors and myths like this ... the number of times I have come across this same misinformation on other boards is astounding.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:58 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Well in defense of the "00, which I have, remember that they are the first year, always more desirable. In fact mine is considered an antique and I have been offered over 50,000 for it as it is all original.

How's that for starting myths, Steve?
Old 02-28-2003, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by liquid215
[B]'00 & '01 are alittle more racier & hardcore imo.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:51 PM

Just did a search & found out that behind the headrests on the '02 & '03's have a somewhat of a shiny silver-ish plastic lining on them(not so in the '00 & '01's). The '02 & '03 seem to have alot more of a "bling" factor than the '00 & '01's. So i guess if your after bling the '02 & '03 is your best bet, esp. if you like the all red interior which is the biggest "bling bling" factor you can have .

Quick Reply: Should I stay away from 00-01 S2k?