S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Show me your car tool kits

Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Show me your car tool kits

Cross posted from another (non-S2ki) forum; I'm mainly interested if there are any S2000-specific tools I should carry with me. Special size sockets, etc. I know it's a Honda and it should never break, but I'm closing in on 100k miles, so if having, say, an "XXmm socket" could save the day, I'll go ahead and carry it.

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Had a minor moment at work today; co-worker's Explorer needed a new battery. No biggie, she got one, i assured her I could install it, but I only had a screwdriver set and a Leatherman in my car; no sockets or wrench to get the terminals off. I ran to my inlaws' ~10 minutes away and borrowed some tools, but I'd like to get a couple more tools to have in case of "emergencies" like today's. Socket set, maybe some wrenches, etc.

Right now I have these:

I'd like a socket kit and maybe some adjustable or box wrenches that are in the style of the screwdriver set above; something compact and portable for minor roadside fixes. Anyone got some good solutions for this stuff?

PS, this doesn't need to be a "let me show you my gun/radar detector/cell phone charger/condoms that I keep in my glovebox" thread, just interested in tools.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol.
I keep a $20 socket kit in my trunk I got at lowes a month and a half ago, http://www.lowes.com/pd_96695-29091-...3778-_-Primary
Then I have a single LED plastic keychain on my car keys I got like 6 for a dollar from China.
Seriously though, if your s2000 has problems you're out of luck because you're not going to be able to fix a $100-$600 common problem, master cylinder etc. on the side of the road, at least without a bud running to get the parts. (For a master cylinder fail that would be brake fluid in your trunk, transmission shop claimed mine was leaking 6 months ago when my fluid was dry, not a drop has leaked since it was refilled...)
Best tools are the oem trunk tool set I store in a Gallon bag to free up trunk space (Styrofoam casing is at my feet right now, def worth keeping) because the main problem you're going to fix on a <100k mileage s2000 is a flat tire.
Just get AAA for like $21/yr, then you get discounts on hotels and UPS shipping and Penske truck rentals etc.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there's a thread on this.
seen something like this a while back
Old 08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't keep anything in the car around town. Just a cell phone. For the SUV, I have an "emergency roadside kit" that I bought at Target. It has a first aid kit, tow strap, jumper cables, sockets and screwdrivers. I added flares, a good flashlight and an FRS radio.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

small tool kit, flare, first aid kit, electric pump, .45 acp, adrenaline.
The following 2 users liked this post by EastS2k:
A.O. (04-30-2023), kennyk17 (03-22-2021)
Old 08-16-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cell phone, AAA card, small electric compressor, oem lug wrench, lug key, and a small patch kit. This all fits in the foam cutout in the trunk. I also removed the spare tire and tools.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBearTX
Lol.
I keep a $20 socket kit in my trunk I got at lowes a month and a half ago, http://www.lowes.com/pd_96695-29091-...3778-_-Primary
Then I have a single LED plastic keychain on my car keys I got like 6 for a dollar from China.
Seriously though, if your s2000 has problems you're out of luck because you're not going to be able to fix a $100-$600 common problem, master cylinder etc. on the side of the road, at least without a bud running to get the parts. (For a master cylinder fail that would be brake fluid in your trunk, transmission shop claimed mine was leaking 6 months ago when my fluid was dry, not a drop has leaked since it was refilled...)
Best tools are the oem trunk tool set I store in a Gallon bag to free up trunk space (Styrofoam casing is at my feet right now, def worth keeping) because the main problem you're going to fix on a <100k mileage s2000 is a flat tire.
Just get AAA for like $21/yr, then you get discounts on hotels and UPS shipping and Penske truck rentals etc.
I'm not looking to rebuild the engine or replace a clutch on the side of the road, but I was embarrassed I didn't have enough basic hand tools to change a frickin' battery in a parking lot. It's these kind of simple repairs I want to be able to tackle, so some wrenches and a socket set, etc, are what I'm looking for. And then I wondered if it might be worth throwing in any S2000-specific size tools too, just in case. Someone suggested this tool kit, which is kinda what I had in mind; just wondering if there were any obvious "oh, you should add a XXmm socket/wrench to that in case __________ happens" tools I should add in. Just looking at it, it probably needs a small crescent wrench and maybe another pair of pliers too.

Old 04-29-2023, 05:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, it’s been over a decade since the last post on this one. Thought I’d try a revised twist on this thread…

Many of the great, high end sports cars of the past century have come with a roadside tool kit - often wrapped in the requisite supple leather satchel. Obviously, tools for a different time when cars often broke down. For some classic cars, a complete roadside tool kit can be a big deal - and add value - for the discerning seller/buyer.

If you were to design a roadside tool kit for an S2000, what tools would you pack based on what likely could go wrong and realistically could be fixed on the roadside?
Old 04-30-2023, 06:39 AM

Received 3,781 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I have a small compressor, some fix a flat, 10mm socket and ratchet, multi screwdriver, jumper cables, and a knife and some duct tape in case a hose starts leaking. Also an old sheet in case I get dirty so I can cover up the driver's seat.
The following users liked this post:
GBR! (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 07:22 AM

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
I'm not looking to rebuild the engine or replace a clutch on the side of the road, but I was embarrassed I didn't have enough basic hand tools to change a frickin' battery in a parking lot. It's these kind of simple repairs I want to be able to tackle, so some wrenches and a socket set, etc, are what I'm looking for. And then I wondered if it might be worth throwing in any S2000-specific size tools too, just in case. Someone suggested this tool kit, which is kinda what I had in mind; just wondering if there were any obvious "oh, you should add a XXmm socket/wrench to that in case __________ happens" tools I should add in. Just looking at it, it probably needs a small crescent wrench and maybe another pair of pliers too.

You got a link for that tool kit? Looks pretty good.
Ooops, just saw this is a way old posting.

Quick Reply: Show me your car tool kits