S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Side View Convex Mirror vs. 2" Convex Mirror

Old 11-20-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Side View Convex Mirror vs. 2" Convex Mirror

I know many of you have the drivers side convex mirror installed and absolutely love it. The only drawback I gather is that objects are closer than they appear.

Has anyone then used a 2" circular convex mirror (attached to the far left corner)?

Would using the small mirror have the same advantages of seeing the blind spot but you still have your regular mirror for distance gauging?

Any thoughts and discussion would be appreciated.

-TJS
Old 11-20-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for my daily driving needs, i dare not tamper with the my stock side mirrors.. but more importantly, i use them only as guides as a proper shoulder check after a quick glance is what i tend to do

but some guys have after market side mirrors and the only function they seem to play is "bling factor"
Old 11-20-2004, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by s2ksimon,Nov 20 2004, 11:00 AM
for my daily driving needs, i dare not tamper with the my stock side mirrors.. but more importantly, i use them only as guides as a proper shoulder check after a quick glance is what i tend to do

but some guys have after market side mirrors and the only function they seem to play is "bling factor"
It's not tampering, or cosmetic, but to eliminate the drivers side blind spot. It's there and it's huge. Without being able to see over your shoulder, I am looking for additional safety when making lane changes. (leaning forward and looking or shifting your mirror as far left as it goes still leaves a blind spot).
Old 11-20-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TJS,

I just recently bought my S and after a few close calls, someone from two lanes to the left merged into the lane directly to my left, in my blind spot, I decided that I needed better visibility. I tried the little 2" convex mirror and had two problems.

First, since the mirror was cheap, Surface "finish" was a problem. A 5 wave mirror it was not. This created a problem at night when it was struck by headlights. The light would reflect from the surface defects and the mirror would essentially glow.

Second, I didn't like the way it looked on the vehicle.

I decided to order the OEM (from Australia) convex replacement. It has not arrived yet so I cannot yet comment on how it is working out. If you're interested I'll let you know when I install it.

As far as the "distance gauging" is concerned, after driving with it for awhile I believe I'll be able to compensate for the difference.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:00 AM

BTW, Just noticed nice colors
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the input, never thought about some of those factors, but it's enough for me not to use it....and yeah, those colors are so sweet=)
Old 11-20-2004, 03:23 PM

I have the Oz convex mirror and love it. I had too many close calls (mainly interstate lane changes) and had to do something about it.

The conves mirror rally opens up the field of vision and I honestly dont notice the different (distance wise) from the oem mirror.

I have the mirror additions on one of my other vehicles and you DO notice that cars are way closer than they appear with those.

I would recommend the convex mirror every time.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:40 PM

I'm an new owner [9 miles until break-in is complete!] I was concerned about the blind spot. I purchased the Muz Mirror. A skilled person could replace it in 5 minutes. It took me about 45 with a few curse words and thoughts I damaged my new vehicle!

I'll start out with the non-obvious: If you're mirrors are properly adjusted, you probably don't need it.

I'm glad I made the switch. I feel much more comfortable driving the motor with it. It does take some adjustment. I'm used to glancing at my mirror for a host of reasons. The distortion has caught me by surprise. Nothing scary or dangerous -- just a wow something's different.

I feel much more comfortable making lane changes with the Muz mirror. My only thoughts are give yourself some adjustment time to figure it out.

Consider this a recommendation.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Limited stock of JDM convex mirrors just arrived!
I have 5 only at present.
http://www.prestigeautoaccessories.com/