S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sight unseen purchase experience!

Old 07-31-2020, 05:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
To me the key is having trust in the seller. I don't think I could bring myself to buy sight unseen from a dealer. Little trust.
That's a tough one, something I always say not to do, buy something mechanical site unseen. But that's what I did when I bought ours too, over 2000 miles away. I found it by accident on craigslist as I was trying to plan an anniversary trip. I was looking into lodging and transport for the trip. I emailed, then talked to the seller, we looked each other up and the seller was top drawer. He was getting all kinds of punks, low ballers,tire kickers, and just before I called, a guy with an NSX shows up telling him how it was a perfect track car and his plans of modding the heck out of it as he low balled as well. The car was in perfect condition, 14k miles and the seller wanted a good home for it despite my distance away, I gave him nearly his asking price and we shook hands over the phone. I bought two one way plane tickets and told the wife the next morning that we were doing a road trip for our anniversary. The seller really liked my intentions to use it as intended, that I was a Honda enthusiast, planning for long term ownership, keeping it for drives with the spouse. He picked us up at the airport, put us up for the night, we had a great time, we still are in contact. The car was perfect and he had $600 of service put into it for our trip back.

BTW, the wife was in shock for about a minute, but that quickly changed as she knew I always wanted one when the kids were young, She loves it, drives it nearly as much as me. I have to share but that's ok. It's kind of fun riding with her going through the gears, she's really good as we always had a stick shift and she does like to rev it up. Something special about a lady driving an S2000. It seems to dazzle her friends and most everyone that sees her driving it.