S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snap oversteer

Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Jan 15 2010, 11:15 AM
It looked like a Hollywood movie where the "special effects crew" just threw grass into a sideways-blowing fan at the end....
I wish that was the case

btw all these posts were from the iPhone
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interestin Macr

In the first vid you turn in, the car oversteers, you turn in to the skid it then swings the other way - the pendulum starts then you're history.

In the second vid, you turn in, the car oversteers but then somehow you don't get the same snap oversteer. Is that all down to throttle input?

Please explain, I'm very interested.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Keeping weight on the rear helps greatly.
I wish I could tell you more but that's really all I know. I have lots of ideas but that's about it.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

watching the original posted vid about the snap oversteer, it seems like a bunch of items at play in my opinion:

--throttle lift
--slight down hill transitioning to turn
--drafting from cars ahead to lessen downforce on front/rear end (?)

the last one is just speculation since it's hard to see what kind of aerodynamic parts are installed on the car. just my thoughts...

i've experienced this for higher speed turns as well (lift-throttle oversteer). of course, i'm not one to offer absolutes, but just observation, because it seems like when i encounter this i am asking the front tires to do too many things--steering and scrubbing off speed all at the same time which doesn't seem to bode well. in the future i would try to get off the throttle easier and brake, then transition into accelerating while steering through because the s2000 shines at accelerating out of turns well.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88,Jan 15 2010, 02:36 PM
For the S it's an off throttle issue. The car is supper easy to control while on the gas.
I agree 100% . Assuming you have good tires the S2k is a pretty simple car to drive, provided that you keep the traction on the rear tires (the need to have good reat tires). With the S2k you will be hard pressed to brake traction with the throttle, atleast to the point where you will cause a spin. What this means is that most of the time in an oversteer situation the answer is to counter steer, then apply more throttle. Problem is that everyone's 1st instinct is to go "oh shit" and lift throttle. With the S2k being setup the way it is this reaction really causes a sudden and drastic weight transfer off of the rear tires and thus, an over steer situation.

As far as induced oversteer I find that the S2k is very similar to my track ready K20 civic was, only it has a much sharper edge. I can honestly hone my line by modulating throttle, I don't even really need to trail brake to get some rotation. You just need to be gental and make sure the car is settled before you start screwing with the balance, an unbalanced car is an unpredictable car.

When it comes to wet weather, everything needs to be that much more gentle and thought out. If it is really wet I try to really limit what I am asking the car to do at one time. Think of it this way, you only have 100% to turn, brake, or gas, if you are using 80% of the traction to turn you cannot use even 21% to brake, without some sort of negative consequence. For the most part even in the dry I try to take one thing to 100% to the apex. I will use 100% of the traction to brake, off brake then use 100% to turn, once I hit the apex that 100% is dropping so I can feed it throttle accordingly until I exit the corner and am at full throttle. With the S2k I can feed it throttle a bit sooner than other cars I have driven, so I can brake later, apex later, and still be on the gas with the other guy, if the car starts to push I can modulate the throttle to induce a bit of oversteer to exit the corner online. This type of "on throttle control" is much easier than a car that is the other way around.

Moral of the story is in the wet be easy with ANYTHING YOU DO. It is ok to have fun, but start off pushing the limits of one thing at a time (steering, braking, throttle), it is much easier to learn a car this way.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you make the mistake of lifting off the throttle, can you fix it with counter steering and getting back on the throttle?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^^At this point you are starting to become a passenger, it really just depends on how unbalance the car is (remember an unbalanced car is an unpredictable car). At some point it will be best to nail the brake and clutch and hang on for the ride. If you can still kind of feel the car under you then MAYBE you can save it, although I have been there an lost before. If it is sudden and catches you sleeping, you should just go to plan B (clutch and brake).
Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jguerdat,Jan 15 2010, 03:45 AM
The usual suspects - _proper_ tires for the weather (summer tires need not apply for cold weather), alignment, driver input, etc. I've had the car for >9 years in Rochester, NY where we get 90-100" of snow a year and cold temps from Nov. through March and have never spun the car on the street. I've had it get loose due to excessive speed for the conditions (hit a patch of packed snow or ice) and had an interesting experience that turned out to be caused by a broken front swaybar link. I use all-season tires for the winter rather than snow tires and drive according to the available grip rather than making assumptions - I actually test traction to determine the limits by applying power and brakes.

There's nothing magical here. I submit that most problems are due to driver error, perhaps because we've become insensitive due to FWD. I enjoy steering the car with throttle but there's an awful lot of drivers (not just S2k drivers) who really don't have a clue even with FWD. Now, put them in a RWD car and the problem increases exponentially. I scared myself shitless when I first got the car from the stories on this forum with "snap oversteer" and multitudes of crashes. It turns out that one can't be at the limits of adhesion in a turn and then have VTEC kick in very successfully - physics sucks. I'm not saying this is the problem here but the overall concept fits. Drive according to traction/conditions in a properly maintained car and you will have very few problems.
GREAT post.

Its not the car; its the driver. Where the S2000 is concerned the driver is probably the determining factor 99.9% of the time, the remaining percentage blamed on mechanical failure or other unavoidable circumstances. Sorry to be so blunt about it but the S2000 requires skill, caution, or most commonly both when approaching its limits. Drive below its limits or obtain the skill. Or do otherwise at your own peril.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (06-10-2019)
Old 01-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this thread continues to deliver, I think it should be stickied. Some really good information in here so far
Old 01-16-2010, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that needs to remain in mind is that the OP doesn't mention tracking the car - this is apparently on normal roads at normal speeds. I agree that track/autocross helps get the most out of the car and teaches you what you can and can't get away with on the street but the forces at work _should_ be much lower than those encountered when balls to the wall. Still, you can't overcome physics - you only have just so much traction. The cracked tires mentioned by the OP should be a huge red flag - hopefully, they're long gone...

Quick Reply: Snap oversteer