S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snap oversteer

Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz,Jan 15 2010, 10:08 PM
With the S2k having so much weight infront of the front tires this reaction really causes a sudden and drastic weight transfer off of the rear tires and thus, an over steer situation.
What weight in front of the front tires? All that is up there is a radiator and a pair of headlights.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ I agree the weight distribution figures ive heard for the car vary for 50f/50r to 47f/53r... either way there is not more weight on the front
Old 01-16-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ and if there was substantial weight in front of the front tires it would inhibit snap oversteer, not contribute to it.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^^ yes. the s2000 can be considered actually to be an mr (mid engine rear drive) rather than fr (front engine rear drive) like people like to classify it as.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't let the Lotus folks here you say that though. They don't like us in the mid-engined club

Great information on this thread, thanks to all the contributors.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Jan 15 2010, 04:26 AM
the rear has broken loose in a straight line
I don't understand this. For example, in your vid, the guy loses it in a turn with a elevation change.

ZDan: I wouldn't mind if you explained this: "rear toe change with bump." I don't know exactly what we are talking about. Does this mean toe alters when the suspension articulates?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trinis2001,Jan 16 2010, 05:04 PM
Don't let the Lotus folks here you say that though. They don't like us in the mid-engined club

Great information on this thread, thanks to all the contributors.
they'll have to accept the facts! our motor is behind the front axles which makes it mr!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 PM

i would agree with driver inputs, not having smoothness makes the car lose its balance. i have made the car oversteer a few times but all done basically on purpose just testing its limits.

Front Mid engine layout.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dammitjim,Jan 16 2010, 09:51 AM
^^^ and if there was substantial weight in front of the front tires it would inhibit snap oversteer, not contribute to it.
You are correct about the weight infront of the front tires, it is not there on the S2k. I was typing faster than I was thinking .

I was trying to generalize the weight in the front of the car, but behind the front tires. The S2k is more of a mid engine car, but it is still a front engine car. This puts a good amount of weight on the front of the car, but yes behind the front tires. This will not create a more understeer bias under deceleration, it will cause the car to oversteer.

A normal front engine car with the engine infront of the rear tires may understeer more because the weight is all shifting to the fulcrum point of the car, which is infront of the tires. With the S2k the weight shifts, but as you stated and I so elequently miss-stated, the engine (i.e. weight) is mostly behind the front tires. So the weight shifts to the front, but behind the front tires, Really putting all traction on the front tires (think of it like a hammer with all fo the weight behind the hammer) . This is what causes the snap oversteer characteristics of the S2k under deceleration
Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz,Jan 16 2010, 10:39 PM
You are correct about the weight infront of the front tires, it is not there on the S2k. I was typing faster than I was thinking .

I was trying to generalize the weight in the front of the car, but behind the front tires. The S2k is more of a mid engine car, but it is still a front engine car. This puts a good amount of weight on the front of the car, but yes behind the front tires. This will not create a more understeer bias under deceleration, it will cause the car to oversteer.

A normal front engine car with the engine infront of the rear tires may understeer more because the weight is all shifting to the fulcrum point of the car, which is infront of the tires. With the S2k the weight shifts, but as you stated and I so elequently miss-stated, the engine (i.e. weight) is mostly behind the front tires. So the weight shifts to the front, but behind the front tires, Really putting all traction on the front tires (think of it like a hammer with all fo the weight behind the hammer) . This is what causes the snap oversteer characteristics of the S2k under deceleration
Well stated. I find the S really senstive to a lift throttle manuerver (more so than other FMR and MR I've driven....)

Quick Reply: Snap oversteer