S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So, drove an AP2 for the first time

Old 06-14-2018, 04:05 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
02 would be identical to an 03 other then in mid 02 when the improved banjo bolt/piston cooling was done - check the serial number) The trans are all the same syncros from 00-03. Update was in 04.
Honda tweaked the car almost every year in minor ways - I think a lot of this gets overlooked because of the bigger changes.

From what I remember, in addition to banjo bolts, Honda reprogrammed the ECU for MY 02-03, and dynos from the time showed a slight hp bump because of that - might be lost to history now but I recall a press release about it from back in the day. Back in the day here people were all about swapping 00-01 ECUs for 02-03 ECUs - something about the mapping being better for responsiveness and power - 5-10 hp, evidenced by slightly better dynos.

Also, Honda claimed to have "improved" the transmission in one of the press releases. Plus all the cosmetic stuff.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Honda tweaked the car almost every year in minor ways - I think a lot of this gets overlooked because of the bigger changes.

From what I remember, in addition to banjo bolts, Honda reprogrammed the ECU for MY 02-03, and dynos from the time showed a slight hp bump because of that - might be lost to history now but I recall a press release about it from back in the day. Back in the day here people were all about swapping 00-01 ECUs for 02-03 ECUs - something about the mapping being better for responsiveness and power - 5-10 hp, evidenced by slightly better dynos.

Also, Honda claimed to have "improved" the transmission in one of the press releases. Plus all the cosmetic stuff.
True about the ECU. The 02-03 saw a leaner afr and that bumped up the power slightly at WOT and some improvement in response. I own both an 01 and a mid/02 model. The only trans change I'm privy to was some provision in the trans oil pump, due to some starvation issues in the previous MY. But all the mechanicals/gears etc are identical. The sway bars and spring weights change and then everything else was just cosmetic details/trim/radio etc.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry i went ghost on the thread. Haven't been back home in ages to get online.

ssbfgc - did 05 really not have DBW?? I could swear i didn't see a cable.

Birdybog - It was nice to test it out, honestly. The thing appeared to be a garage queen from the 15 minute walk around i did on it.

toztigger - Probably could have used a tune up, alignment, and valve adjustment. For as long as it may have been sitting: something could have been off.

MrFunk - Oh man, i couldn't remember the tires after this long. I do remember the tread to be really good still. Maybe old tires?
I'd be rather fearful of test driving used AP1's. Being as they are a bit more affordable nowadays, i'd question a lot.

s2000Junky - lol boat anchor flywheel huh? I do enjoy spirited driving, honestly. Rev matching and heel toe shifting felt loads easier with my car. I had to see what difference there would be there.

unclebobby - "The AP2 is a better car, the AP1 is a better S2000" I kind of like that.

Saki GT - That is a good reminder on the 00-01 guys swapping to 02+ ecu to lean out the fuel delivery (with added benifits, of course). I completely forgot about that!

Now, I don't mean to not quote anything here... Wasn't sure if i wanted to learn how to do it while getting frustrated.

Thank you for all the responses, folks!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Another thing you can do with the AP2 clutch is deleting the CDV (clutch delay valve) or swap the AP2 slave cylinder with an AP1, which is what I did recently. The clutch feels much better, the engagement feels much snappier, there isn't this weird lag anymore. Can't wait to change my flywheel to a lighter one as well.

Last edited by jaor.s2k; 07-16-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
Another thing you can do with the AP2 clutch is deleting the CDV (clutch delay valve) or swap the AP2 slave cylinder with an AP1, which is what I did recently. The clutch feels much better, the engagement feels much snappier, there isn't this weird lag anymore. Can't wait to change my flywheel to a lighter one as well.