S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So i got an idea but i want some opinons

Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i got an idea but i want some opinons

im thinking about going to school for buissuss managment.i then want to open up a all aftermarket store here where i live in florence ky there are tones of hondas,nissian,and everything else but there are no stores around here where you can buy aftermarket stuff like hoods,fenders,wheels tires,engine mods. I think opening a shop up here would be a great idea. Does anyone else on here live in the Florecne area that could give me there opinon. Or even anyone else let me know what you think.My mother has owned her own store not a car store but her own store and said she would help me out on getting started. So again its just an idea its not like im going today to buy a store or anything
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 AM

oh sorry about all the typing errors i was typing fast and didnt even look over it . So sorry wont happen again everyone
Old 06-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Banned

I think it would be very hard/expensive to keep any kind of decent inventory...and at the same time beat prices that can be found online.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:10 AM

You would definantly have to market yourself to the companies that make the aftermarket parts to make sure you get a discounted price, and then to turn around and sell them and make a profit... if you have the money to start it up and the contacts to do it then go for it. It just seems like a difficult area to get into. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM

yea no doubt at all that it would take time and money. it just seems that there so many people around that love modifing there cars but they have to go over the internet to do it.i think it would be easy just to walk in buy somthing and have the store put it on
Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 AM

and thanks alot for your opinon
Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the mechanical skills to do the installations and setup? Maybe you could match the online prices on the parts and make your money from the installation labor.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These aren't little parts. You'd need warehouse space or you would need to have demo parts on hand and then have them shipped in on demand, but that would require customers who were willing to wait.

With the variety of stuff available in the aftermarket, it's going to be tough to cover enough bases. Smart people know what they want, they know where to find it and they won't settle for something different even if it is at a brick and mortar store. Look at what has happened to car audio shops over the last decade.

If you want to make money, I think you'd be better off having a shop that does the install work. There are a lot of people who have more cash than mechanical ability and they need someone to put their parts on, bolt on or not. If you coupled the install part with the ability to order parts from various manufacturers at competitive prices, you might be on to something. People like one stop shopping and it is convenient to drop off a car and then pick it up a week later with the parts installed properly.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 AM

yea i have the skills for install work.im am working at a body shop right now learning everything now painting sanding all that good stuff.anways like i said it would be awhile before and even if i do go throught with this IDEA..thanks everyone
Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imagine location is critical. If you're ever near one, check out a Super Autobacs store. They look like winners to me but start-up costs must be insanely high.

Quick Reply: So i got an idea but i want some opinons