S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soft top frame burrs. Any picture tutorials?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top frame burrs. Any picture tutorials?

I've searched the forum and can't seem to find any any tutorials. Has anyone done one of these yet on where the frame burrs are, best way to remove them, best practices for top re-enforcement?

I've got an 09 with a good top and wanted to do some preventative maintenence. I've had a look at the top mechanisim go up and down, but I'm not the brightest brick on the wall, so any help would be great.

Thanks
James
Old 09-19-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you have to do is put the top up and feel around the hinges and brackets, note any burrs and use a file or dremel to smooth them out. If you need a pictorial walk-through on how to use a file, you may want to lay off the Kool-Aid.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this area.

The following users liked this post:
HarryD (10-11-2018)
Old 09-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman
I've searched the forum and can't seem to find any any tutorials. Has anyone done one of these yet on where the frame burrs are, best way to remove them, best practices for top re-enforcement?

I've got an 09 with a good top and wanted to do some preventative maintenence. I've had a look at the top mechanisim go up and down, but I'm not the brightest brick on the wall, so any help would be great.

Thanks
James
Old 09-19-2014, 05:17 PM

I did the Modifry strap replacement for my '06 convertible top. It was easy to do (30 minutes, very good instructions included) and the top now sits further down into its rear well so it probably does not catch as much wind (i.e., vibration) in top down driving, and it looks better. FYI...With the top up, the straps are above the driver's left shoulder and the passenger's right shoulder. If they do not sit flush against your top (are droopy?), they probably need replaced. Expensive to do if you take it to the dealer.

I also put the Lizard skins on the rear frame bars where others have reported burrs or top wear problems. The Lizard skins have been on for about 4 months and seem to work fine and present no issues, yet. When the top goes up or down, the neoprene skins spin on the metal frame bar reducing the friction between the rag top and the frame.

You can search the forum for Lizard Skins and get more information and pictures from other posts. If you get them, order two, black, Jumbo size. I ordered them from BikeNashbar.com but Amazon probably carries them also (they are a bicycle part to protect the bike frame from the chain).

My S is a garaged, weekend driver. When I am not driving it, I keep the top up. I read somewhere (may have been on a S2K forum) that it's better to keep the a convertible top up when the car is in storage or garaged so the top is stretched out and not folded onto itself. Over time, a constant fold could result in a weak spot leading to a tear over the long haul. This could just be urban folklore, but it seems to make sense, at least to me.

Good luck with your S!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Honda specifies the top should be Up when in storage. Probably for the reasons you mention.

I did the Modifry strap replacement for my '06 convertible top too. First one took some braille and use of a little mirror and flashlight. Second one was much easier as I finally got the technique down.

Moving the car out in the sun to check the places in the earlier photos in a few minutes!

-- Chuck
Old 09-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S~Factor
this area.

so this is the only area where the roof frame can damage the soft top? If we do this + the modifry strap(when needed), we should be pretty well off?

also, I got weird flat spots on my soft top.

They all occur near the corners of the metal roof frame bars. They are freaking me out! anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dman8
Originally Posted by S~Factor' timestamp='1411156814' post='23337748
this area.

so this is the only area where the roof frame can damage the soft top? If we do this + the modifry strap(when needed), we should be pretty well off?

also, I got weird flat spots on my soft top.

They all occur near the corners of the metal roof frame bars. They are freaking me out! anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Thanks in advance
Are you sure its not just dirt?
Try just giving the top a simple cleaning. A regular hand car wash and lightly scrub the top with a microfiber wash mitt and rinse it off.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[/quote]

Are you sure its not just dirt?
Try just giving the top a simple cleaning. A regular hand car wash and lightly scrub the top with a microfiber wash mitt and rinse it off.
[/quote]

This was right after cleaning. It looked the same before cleaning too. It feels like the vinyl got squished into a smooth sheet. or melted or something. Not fabricky like the rest of the top.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I think what you are describing are the areas of vinyl fabric that rub and wear against each other when the top is folded down. The movement and shifting of the top as the car bounces along, over time, wear contact spots a bit. If the top is dry (not conditioned) the vinyl will not slide as well and can wear faster. Folds and pressure from behind the top (such as a bar) can focus friction to that point. If it is conditioned, the lubricating properties of something like RaggTopp will help alleviate some of the wear.

Quick Reply: Soft top frame burrs. Any picture tutorials?