S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soft top use, how often?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top use, how often?

How often do you guys move the top up and down? I love driving with the top down, but I will never leave the top down after I park. I have a Valentine V1 that I don't want to get stolen and I do not want the interior to get worn out by the sun. (I live in Carolina) Now I know that I can put the V1 in the glove box and I know that I can protect the interior with the right products (but it will still wear faster from the sun). Will the soft top motor wear out using it twice a day everyday? Will the soft top be more likely to wear out faster? Any of you out there continue to move your top up and down everytime you get in and out of the car?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Everytime I drive the car, which is about 1-3 times a week.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 AM

I usually drop the top every time I drive the car so at least 3 times a week.

Glue black patches on the inside on any spots where wear is evident so the patch takes that wear. Lubricate all the hinge points on the top frame (there are like 12 of them!) with a good dry moly lube at least every year. Apply 303 or other quality vinyl protectant to the exterior of the top at least 4 times a year. My top still looks brand new on my 2002 model and it's down most of the time I drive the car (43K miles so far)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Top up anytime I walk away from it. Top down almost every time I get in it. Eight years old and 50k miles, (Stored winters), and the top works and looks like new.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Every time I get in the car lately it has been down. I never leave the top down when it's parked unless I have to stop at home or a gas station for a couple minutes. Haven't noticed any wear yet but I'd be curious about where I can add patches for extra reinforcement.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jorsher
Every time I get in the car lately it has been down. I never leave the top down when it's parked unless I have to stop at home or a gas station for a couple minutes. Haven't noticed any wear yet but I'd be curious about where I can add patches for extra reinforcement.
With the top up, notice the points where the frame is making solid contact with the top, causing the top to bulge out at that point...THAT is the location you need to run a patch on the inside so that frame friction wear does not damage the top.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally, it's top down to and from work. I don't usually take the car anywhere else as we take my wife's Prius (when it's the family) or her Miata (when it's just the two of us).

On occasion, I meet my wife or colleagues for lunch and I will drop the top and leave it down while at lunch. I don't have anything in view that can be stolen. If I am going to be gone from the car for more than a half hour, the top goes up to save the interior (and to keep it clean). So far, I only have one area that I have patched and it is holding up strong.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zippity
How often do you guys move the top up and down?
Depends on the weather. As much as possible.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM

As much as possible but if its short journeys then i wont bother.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JLUDE
Originally Posted by Jorsher' timestamp='1317996504' post='21048781
With the top up, notice the points where the frame is making solid contact with the top, causing the top to bulge out at that point...THAT is the location you need to run a patch on the inside so that frame friction wear does not damage the top.
What's a good material for this purpose?

Quick Reply: Soft top use, how often?