S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?

Old 05-12-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had someone who really couldn't speak english back up into me in a parking lot. I told them I have to call the police and they started to say they'd pay me cash on the spot. I insisted I call my insurance agent (glad i did).

He didn't have insurance or a valid Driver's License. My insurance company went after him hard. They paid me $850 for the repair. I took the $850 and bought a new computer, then fixed it myself as much as I could, then it cost $150

Call your insurance company ASAP. They'll go after them.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:03 AM

P O L I C E R E P O R T

Why doesn't anyone ever get one in situations like this???????????????
Old 05-12-2003, 11:22 AM

If I get a police report how can I prove that the girl driving it was excluded from the insurance? I do have unisured protection but then that would probably cause my rates to go up. I already called my insurance and hers. Her insurance said the girl is excluded and they will not pay for damages to my car.WTF? I thought it matters if the car is covered. Second, My insurance will say that it is possible for my rates to go up if I do make a claim. Now the mom is being a B*tch and hangs up or will not pick up when I call.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:24 AM

I don't think the insurance can raise your rates if you make an uninsured motorist claim. Mine never went up, and when I got other quotes, they said uninsured claims never go against you.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:26 AM

Like others have said, get a police report. You'll have to take them to court if they can't be otherwise motivated.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ace10
[B]P O L I C E
Old 05-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should always make a police report on the scene to prevent being screwed. That being said, I believe you have a set amount of time, maybe 30 days to file one. Do that first! Then either pay a lawyer to write them a letter (that may be enough to scare them into paying) or take their asses to small claims court. You have done enough as far as what inconvenience you should go through for someone else's neglence. It's time to collect what you are owed.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:31 PM

You always need to get a police report. The cop probably would have cited the girl for having no insurance, which only helps your cause (she would get two tickets, improper lane change & no insurance).

Seriously guys, if someone even gives your car a love tap, you need to get the cops out there. Something could have happend that you might not see right away and this is your only protection. Yeah the other person will get a ticket if its their fault, and it takes time, but your covering your own ass. Plus they were stupid enough to hit you...
Old 05-12-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Keith is completely right. You MUST have a police report and case number for anything like this.

Explore your options and see if you can still get one. That will help you greatly in small claims court which is something you should plan on for sure. Don't let them get away with this.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:35 PM

File a police report and take it from there. SC has a form (FR-10) that goes out to anyone involved in an accident investigation initiated by the cops. If they don't submit it along with proof of insurance within 15 days, their license is suspended. Texas may have something similar. It's not your burden to verify her insurance. With a police report, you might get lucky and get her license pulled for a while as a bonus! Any TX lawyers out there?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:04 PM

I was hit a couple of years ago (not in my S) by someone who then took off and I chased him through subdivisions until I caught him. The police came and filed a report (he went to jail for hit & run on the spot), but the insurance info he gave them was false, so I told my insurance company and they paid for everything and reimbursed my deductible because I had uninsured motorist on my policy. I also followed up with the D.A. to tell them what happened and they were glad I did because they said they would go after him to the fullest extent of the law. My insurance did not go up because the police report states that it was the other driver's fault. They said if I wouldn't have caught him, I would have been SOL.

Quick Reply: Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?