S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soundproofed the car today

Old 07-27-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynamat is not the best available product for metal damping. I always use a viscous mat before sound deadening, but here are some sites: earsc.com: look at their damping composites and barrier composites. I've used the foil backed urethane damping composite in the past for a one component application, and it works really well. You do not need to go thicker than 1/4 inch.
Also, soundabsorber.com has some great stuff for small quantity buyers. If you use the barrier composites, put the foam side against the metal. For those of you that want to enhance subwoofer performance, put thin acoustic foam on top of everything before you put the liners back in. This will suck up standing waves. Also, stuff polyester batting in any holes you see to stop transmitted sound.

The thing about Dynamat and all other dampers is that they stop the panels from vibrating, but do nothing to kill sound. The extra thickness gives a dull thud, but high frequencies ignore it. And, you don't need a lot of it. Knock on an area with your knuckle and apply a little bit where it is loudest, say 3 by 5 inches. You will see a point of diminishing returns very quickly. As to damping the top well; when you have the liner out, you will see that Honda used felt to cover most, but not all, of the bottom of it. Add acoustic foam where the plastic is exposed. A large amount of noise passes through this box. And if you want the sub to rock, look at the felt flap at the front of the spare tire area. It is pinned at the top with a few plastic knobs, and swings freely at the bottom. If you quiet the trunk sufficiently, removing this will allow the sound to be launched through the vents behind the seats right into your kidneys! I hope a lot of you have success with this. I am going to pursue the doors and floor area next, and will update on that progress.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chipperman thanks for your input on this subject!
It's info that hasn't been addressed properly for the S so far as I can tell. I guess by being a convertible most would think that it's futile to do so. It would make a big difference to those who like to listen to music while driving great distances at moderate speeds when the top has to be up. Please keep us updated with any improvements you run across! Please post pics if you can for those of us who find it hard to visualize your project.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:26 PM

I'm getting a tad confused looking at all the different products and also what product I should be lookinf for exactly.

If I am looking to deaden the sound from road noise and exhaust resonance, will I need more than one product?

Paul
Old 07-27-2003, 07:50 PM

ninegrand, the simple answer is yes. Take out your trunk liners and thump the area on the right side of the spare tire well, where there is some factory damping. This is the sound we want, or as close as possible, from the sheetmetal. To do that, you must dampen the metal. The vinyl or mastic backed foil sheets will do that. But you need to stay thin, so we have room for the acoustic foam. I just glued 1/4 inch dense acoustic foam (actually peel and stick) to the plastic back of all the liner parts, with the exception of the floor box where it had felt. This makes the liner act like a decoupler, and the noise reduction is dramatic. You could glue one of the vinyl/foam sandwich mats on too, but anything over 1/4 inch will not allow the holes for the push pins to line up. Remember to reach around the outside of the fender well and cover it, too. I'll see if I can get you some specific items to ask for to make it easier. It does depend on whether you are using a different stereo, subwoofer, or exhaust as to what will work best.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:09 AM

Chipperman,

Thanks! This should be a great project. If it helps I have a Spugen dual/oval exhaust and the OEM stereo w/ Lucid rear speakers.

It's starting to sink in now. I will need to put the thin foil sheets where there is bare metal, then go with1/4" acustical foam (the peel and stick would be great) over everything, then put the factory liner back in.

I should also ask, will this have ANY effect when driving with the top down?

I am also interested in doing the front at the same time if it's a good idea.

Sorry about all the questions and thanks again for the help.

Paul
Old 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM

Paul, by jove you've got it! Put the foam on the backside of the trunk liner; it will then face out and absorb the noise that gets past the damper sheets. Remember to fill holes with polyester batting. It's about $2 a pound at fabric shops. Yes, this will have an effect on top down driving. I am still working on the front. Doors in the next couple of days, floor next week. I haven't seen the floor yet so I son't know what it needs. Will post pics soon.
When you pull the spare tire cover and the panel to the left of it, you will see a lot of holes behind your rear speakers. Stuff them well with batting, and you will hear a dramatic improvement in sound.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:06 AM

chipperman, can you list the products you use and where to get them? i have read all the posts but sometimes you recommend this over that. i'm a noob when coming to sound stuff. sorry for being a real noob.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:18 AM

I think after reading these replies, that I need to make kits available. Unfortunately, I discovered today that some of the materials are available only in 100 foot rolls. This is, of course, not practical for most of you, and demographics dictate where some of these items may be available. I am completing the door mods today, and after I examine the floor, I'll put together some packages. the response has been great. Thanks for the feedback, you are a wonderful group of people.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:05 AM
mas

Originally posted by chipperman
I think after reading these replies, that I need to make kits available.
Great Idea!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 AM

Great post. Could you list how much of each component you used and for which area? TIA

Quick Reply: Soundproofed the car today