S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soundproofing Done! We Have Results And Numbers

Old 07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
R11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I like the sound of the engine and exhaust. The only thing I'd really like to reduce is the road noise (primarily from the rear tires) and the drive train (gear and rear end) noise.

ron
Old 07-12-2004, 08:16 PM

For those with questions: If you have dynamat, it will have to come out. What you will be using is 1/3 the weight and 4 times as effective. The rear noise, gears and tires, is eliminated. I live on a 1.3 mile gravel road, and let me tell you how much that sucks. Before I did this, the small rocks sounded like ball bearings hitting the fender well in the rear. The front isn't so bad because of the plastic liner. Now, the biggest 3/4 gravel chunks literally sound like sand. The tire howl and differential noise is gone, and the tires can only be heard from the outside. On a smooth highway, where the noise goes to the side, it is inaudible. The transmission tunnel is dampened to take out that noise, too, but since the engine thrashing goes down and bounces off the pavement, not a lot can be done about it. However, I am exploring to see whether is will be worth removing the front fender liners and attacking from underneath. Probably not, but I'll let you know. Today is Monday, and I hope by tomorrow evening I will have prices, and then I'll post on group buys. Everything is included: Polymer, foam, hobby knife, felt pen, adhesive and cleaner, and brushes. You will need scissors, a one gallon paper bucket, some aluminum foil, a little vinyl tape, a puller for the panel push pins, and hopefully access to the factory manual. A small, stiff scraper and a heat gun or hair dryer makes the removal of certain factory material easier. This is an arduous task, not difficult, but time consuming. However, there is nothing else you can do to this car that will make it as comfortable.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The instructions are going to be full color illustrated right
Old 07-12-2004, 09:49 PM

You know, I've always been a fan of the written word, and the colorful images it can generate in the mind. So, I guess you could call the instuctions colorful in that sense. Illustrated? Nah, but I will provide running commentary about little things to look for. Maybe not Melville, Mailer, King, or Clancy, but enough to guide you in the right direction. The problem with pictures is that they are worth a thousand words, so how could I exercise (exorcise?) my typing skills or lack therof? Oh, this is going to be fun!
Seriously though, the written descriptions will be enough to get you through. And if you get stuck, I am only a pm away, although I may reply in the am.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:11 PM

The complete kit price will be $520, shipped. I am preparing a post for the group buy forum. Until that is complete, I can't take any money, as I will not violate the forum rules. How many of you are interested? If you have any questions, please post them here so that everyone can see the replies. Thanks
Old 07-13-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by chipperman,Jul 13 2004, 08:11 PM
The complete kit price will be $520

Sounds like you have done a nice job (no pun intended), but...yikes!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:55 AM

The only problem I've ever had with the car is the interior noise level.

Please include me in your group buy!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this should reduce the noise level even with an aftermaket exhaust right?
Old 07-14-2004, 05:34 AM

Count me in.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:56 AM

Count me in too.

Quick Reply: Soundproofing Done! We Have Results And Numbers