S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Speeding, test pipes, and morality

Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People that speed (excessively) in traffic are dangerous and annoy the hell out of me.

As Poindexter said though, "on the open road my foot is all in". I trust my own judgement on what is safe and what is not.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Speeding, as I have noted, is usually tied to other poor driving habits -- tailgating, improper lane changing, not yielding right-of-way, and a general display of self-importance and lack of respect for others on the road. I continue to be amazed by what speeding drivers are willing to risk just for being some where a bit sooner, or the 'thrill' of driving fast. I do know if I or someone in my family were ever injured or killed by a speeding driver, I would do everything in my power to insure that the person responsible would regret their action for the rest of their life.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by cmdr s,Jan 20 2007, 11:13 AM
Speeding, as I have noted, is usually tied to other poor driving habits -- tailgating, improper lane changing, not yielding right-of-way
Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruprecht,Jan 20 2007, 04:28 AM
I guess that the cat removal is worse than speeding for this reason:

When you speed, you MIGHT cause harm where speed was a factor.

When you drive without a cat, you create consistent excessive harm EVERY time you drive.

If I knew I would wreck each and every time I sped, I would not speed.
I drive according to how fast I feel I can go w/o causing undue risk to others in my path or risking a ticket...not based on what a conservative sign on the side of the road says I should do.

OTOH, I think cats s/b kept on the car if you're gonna drive it on public streets.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CKit,Jan 20 2007, 01:05 AM
Test pipes are illegal, but not immoral. Any NASCAR race emits more unburned pollutants than an average test pipe user will make in a year. And people pay for the pleasure of sitting up close and sucking fumes. Not a huge impact on their long-term health... especially compared to the effects of obesity that they'll willingly endure.
NASCAR races are held on privately-funded tracks, as opposed to roadways which are funded by the taxpaying public. Wanna go pollute, do it on private property!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its hilarious how you mention morality....
Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Dont tell me we all bought s2k's b/c it looks good. It doesnt make sense for me to buy a sports car just for the looks. The honda engineers made this car to do one thing. Handle good with a very responsive engine.

I do speed a lot, but i really do not agree that driving 70 on a 50 mph is wrong. And there is always traffic in nyc. I dont go and cut ppl off with 1 inch front and back and cutting in and out of traffic. I feel that driving 70 and driving 50 are both very safe. It's just those idiotic drivers that cut into other ppls lanes too late or didnt get back to crusing speed quick enough, inducing the driver in that lane to react fast enough to brake on time or cut into another lane in time that causes accidents.

Mainly it's not speed that kills, it's the bad drivers on the road.

I didnt buy a twin turbo Supra or an s2k to look good. If that was the case i would've gotten a benz. I do street race my car from time to time, but i know when to stop and what not to do. Driving fast and and drivin recklessly are two different things.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think people were jumping on the other thread because the poster was commenting, "Why do I keep getting tickets, I don't get it... I only drive 20mph over."

I don't think driving 20mph over is wrong, but if the guy is asking how to decrease his liability, his judgement is already suspect. So "speed smarter" is not going to help. That would have been my recommendation, but if he didn't get it after 4 tickets, then the easiest overkill recommendation is "slow down."

Of course you may go 20mph over in passing someone to reduce the time spent in the alternate lane. It's not the speed that matters, it's the underlying representation of a constellation of poor judgement.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 AM

We're all speeding because the speed limit is too damn low! Change the highway speed limit from 65 to 85 and we wouldn't be guilty of speeding anymore.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jan 20 2007, 10:32 AM
NASCAR races are held on privately-funded tracks, as opposed to roadways which are funded by the taxpaying public. Wanna go pollute, do it on private property!
Yes, because the air above the privately-funded tracks doesn't affect the neighboring community?!

The point is that the amount of pollution is not black and white. It's not spraying Polonium on people's Wheaties. One tractor trailer that's not up to spec will spit out more crap on the PUBLIC roadways. One junker beater from the 70s sputtering around with its carbs pollutes more on the PUBLIC roadways.

Some states have stopped emissions testing because they couldn't justify the expense of reducing emissions. The government didn't think it was worth it. I'm not relying on them to shepherd my safety.

It's not worth getting worked up over, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Speeding, test pipes, and morality