S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spoon's Cold Air Guide Duct.

Old 04-24-2001, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UL et al...I think there may be a little misunderstanding how the MG Racing intake actually works. When I got mine in the mail, my car was safely in her garage a couple of miles away. So my initial assessment of how it was to install was based on imagining how it went into the engine bay. I was wrong on that initial assessment. The intake actually snakes down towards the rear of the car and the intake scoops BELOW the car, not in front by the radiator as I had first imagined. The inlet is below the plates that the radiator is above, so I can't really see how hot air would be taken in at speed. In fact, I think this design is MORE effective at speed, you really have to see it in person...too bad you won't be in Asheville.

Here's a shot of the intake's air inlet:

Also the shape of the filter is flat and is about a foot across by about 6 inches tall, thereby giving it a great deal of surface area and filtering power.

Just to clarify, I don't have a vested interest in this CAI...I won't make dime number one if MG Racing sells one or not. But in order for people to make an informed decision about which piece they want to add, they should have the correct information...and I think I MAY have been misunderstood by a few...

Also, UL, I am sure that Giampiero would be happy to send you an intake to test on your set up. I can talk to him about that this weekend. The testing results in Italy were very very impressive.

And as far as a ram air effect. I think the "scoop" under the car provides a nice ram air into the passage. It's an open design, as well, and IMO is a very effective design...

Sorry to stray off the original topic of this post....just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

Old 04-24-2001, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey gregstevens, do you have any dyno numbers?
Old 04-24-2001, 11:08 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Platinum
[B]hey gregstevens, do you have any dyno numbers?
Old 04-24-2001, 11:18 AM

Alright Richard, less expensive and improved clones if it makes you feel better :-).

Greg, perhaps you misunderstood my post. First, I said the MG will probably be cooler at a stop as I am aware of the location of the duct. The reason it may not be any cooler while underway is because the stock inlet gets cool air underway as well thanks to the vents in front of the radiator. At a stop the stock system gets hot air because the radiator radiates heat extensively in front, but underway all you have is cool air in front. The system is not perfect as it is not sealed, but its better than people think and is part of the reason, IMO, this car accelerates at speed as well as it does (certainly better than other 200 wheel hp cars I've driven).

In terms of filtering area, remember that the stock filter is about 7" long and has a circumference ranging from 12-13" at the small end to over 22" at the big end. Thus it has a substantial amount of additional filter area compared a 6x12" panel (about 65% more if the pleating density is the same). This means more filtering capacity, but it can also mean less resistance to flow. That's why I'm not a fan of panel filters. But remember, the stock airbox is compromised, so the panel in the MG Racing piece may be just as effective, which I stated.

I'm sure the MG, barring dramatic difference in filter restriction, has less resistance to flow than the stock airbox, thanks mainly to that big duct. That alone may be enough for a power increase on the dyno. Cooler intake temps, even if just at a stop, will be useful and they may be cooler underway as well - but I don't know (which I also said).

As for ram effect, only a pressure sensor will tell for sure, but you aren't sticking the duct opening into a clear, laminar flow stream (especially with the cross brace there) and with the slight angle there are some theoretical issues with capturing high pressure air.

Hope that clears things up. Only testing will tell how all these units work, because theory is just that, theory. I'd be happy to help anyone test a product, whether its on their own car with my equipment, or they'd like me to put it on mine for a day or two. Of course, I can only do this in SoCal :-) (we can do Vericom testing in Texas too).

UL
Old 04-24-2001, 11:31 AM

Thanks UL

Actually, if you wanna do some testing, I'm game. Actually, I'm working on a heat shield and thought maybe you could help us out?
Old 04-24-2001, 11:39 AM

Sure Richard, we can probably do temp testing any time, but I need at least a week's warning on Vericom testing (We ship the unit around, its about my turn to use it anyways). There's a great stretch of flat road out in Malibu BTW. Sea level, cool temps and the view ain't half bad either!

UL
Old 04-24-2001, 11:55 AM

Cool!!! For the heat shield I'm more interested in the temperature difference so all we need is a temperature gauge.

But that gadget thingie (Vericom?) sounds very cool too. I'll see if I can get a hold of a Spoon intake duct within the next few weeks. And it'd be kinda cool to see ya
Old 04-24-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hrmmmm, talks about what will bring in the coolest air, but still no response on my questions regarding "real world" driving which would cause debris and moisture to be thrown into the box. Or even, something like Gregs, which might get beat up a little bit under the car. Of course, its by the wheel, so I dont expect the car to bottom out, but I'd certainly say that a few rocks will chip it up a bit, more so than something under the hood. The car *does* bottom out with stock springs, I've bottomed out, twice already - once in downtown Ft. Worth and another time, not even pushing it hard, but going fast enough, through Westlake in West Austin. (sparks, everywhere - kinda cool from what the person behind me said)
Old 04-24-2001, 01:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B] In terms of filtering area, remember that the stock filter is about 7" long and has a circumference ranging from 12-13" at the small end to over 22" at the big end.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:26 PM

Put me in the camp of owners who would be interested in spending money on an effective intake system.

Emphasis on spending money and effective. I would really like to see some decent dyno results before spending $$$ to replace the stock airbox, which has stood up well so far.

Note to vendors: please help us poor S2000 owners find more ways to give you our money ; support those like ultimate lurker who are willing to do some objective comparative tests.

Thanks,

Ted

Quick Reply: Spoon's Cold Air Guide Duct.