S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sport Springs Which To Go With

Old 10-24-2000, 05:09 AM
Bieg

As you seem very knowledgeable about the mechanics of performance cars, you would have to agree that lowering the center of gravity, increasing spring stiffness along with a lower profile tire that has an increased contact patch will improve handling, if the other suspension components are equally adjusted to the modificvations. This seems to be a basic tenet of automotive physics.
Improve handling under what conditions? Any racing team has multiple sets of springs, shocks, tire compounds and a book of different suspension settings TO MATCH A SPECIFIC TRACK & PREVAILING CONDITIONS. Teams will run an entirely different suspension set-up for a rain soaked track. They will run different set ups for a rough (bumpy) track. Etc....
The problem is on the street you have ALL these conditions and then some. Any suspension you run on the street will by nescessity be a compromise under some conditions but overall Honda made a great choice. If you set a car up for ultimate grip on the skid pad it will be a compromise BIG TIME under normal street conditions.
Old 10-24-2000, 05:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Not reading the whole thread and I said: Bieg will profess you do nothing and Honda did it BEST!

Sory Bieg your just to predictable.
Old 10-24-2000, 08:10 AM
Bieg

Not reading the whole thread and I said: Bieg will profess you do nothing and Honda did it BEST!
Sory Bieg your just to predictable.
At least I can say I read the whole thread before commenting, . . . AND I am not trying to sell anything to anyone.
Old 10-24-2000, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Bieg that you will compromise handling in some conditions. (Bumpy, wet, etc.)
I have 18 x8 and 18 x 9 wheels, RM Racing's springs, strut tower bar, and their newly introduced sway bars (front and rear). I love the handling of my car. When I push it to it's limits it still will four wheel drift and I can easily steer it with the throttle.
But: I only drive the car to its limits under certain conditions. I don't push it through bumpy corners, I don't test its limits in the rain. Some day I will track the car for fun, but it will be a nice smooth track or I won't participate. I would not be racing for points so why put my car through bad conditions.

Overall, I think my car handles much better than stock (On smooth and dry surfaces). The only thing I am going to change is, I am going to try a lower spring. The springs I have only lowered the car about an inch. But RM Racing has a new set (for testing, not in stock for sale) That will lower it about an inch and a half total.
Old 10-24-2000, 09:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally posted by Bieg:
At least I can say I read the whole thread before commenting, . . . AND I am not trying to sell anything to anyone.
Lets not get into this again but....I didnt try to sell anything I just read your last post and knew what it would entail!

Oh and just so you guys know VT lowered his car had some tranny problems and ended up blowing up his rear end. He knew it wasnt due to the springs or coil overs but the Honda Rep raised hell about it. Just something to keep in mind if you have any noise out of your rear end that might be a problem down the road.
Old 10-24-2000, 10:15 AM
Bieg

Lets not get into this again but....I didnt try to sell anything I just read your last post and knew what it would entail!
It entails my opinion. What it did not entail was any personal shots against you.

Of course YOU need to start in don't you?

I am not the guy who includes an advertisement in my sig with every post am I?
Old 10-24-2000, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Bieg:

I am not the guy who includes an advertisement in my sig with every post am I?

Disclaimer: I do not receive any commission from RM Racing, Ricks Signature Accessories or S2Ki.com.
Old 10-24-2000, 10:37 AM

I have not done anything to the Honda's suspension...yet.
But I did mod the 944.
Adj. swaybars, adj. shocks, and I lowered it.
Mostly for autox but I drove it to work everyday. In Dallas. I had no handeling problems. If anything it worked better on the street. But it was a ruff ride. The car would do 1+ G on the Gmeter with 215-60 tires.

Do I think the Honda could use some improvement? Yes.
Will I change it? hopefully.
another .02
Old 10-24-2000, 11:15 AM
Bieg

AaronS2K,

I was refering to Pinky and his stereo buisness.
Old 10-24-2000, 11:46 AM

There may be other concerns as well. My previous car was lowered with Eibach springs when I bought it. On the track (TWS) the car would bottom out in the transitions, which wore holes in my wheel well liners. Probably not a problem with the S2K, but my point is that these modifications can be risky if not done correctly.

Quick Reply: Sport Springs Which To Go With