S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

spun my clutch last night

Old 01-23-2001, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spun my clutch last night... How embarasing.
Is this simply a result of not releasing the clutch fast enough?
How bad is this for the car?

I have never heard of the term spining your clutch-- so just incase I'm wording it funny-- what I mean is that the clutch never grabbed hence it felt like it was spining.

I had the car steady at about 5k and as I was releaseing the clutch, I must have stepped on the gas a little early (or not rleased the clutch fast enough) and consequently the clutch never grabbed. My car was reving at 9k rpm and the 'little red light blinked' so my instentaneous reaction was to let off the gas and press the clutch and go in to second gear, but still nothing happend, the car reved up to 9k with the clutch disengaged and I wasn't moving. Not until I let the engine go down to a reasonable rpm, and reengage/disengage the clutch did the car take off. did i really hurt my baby, or is she going to be okay?
Old 01-23-2001, 02:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Well how bad did it smell?! Seems like its definitly a bad thing. How bad is the damage I dunno! Its gonna take a couple hundred miles of shifting to get it back to its previous gripping power.

Looks like you might want to look into getting the clutch replaced by the TSB that is out.
Old 01-23-2001, 02:20 PM

Well, if this is the only time you've done it then you should be fine..it was probably a result of you not letting the clutch go fast enough..you probably feathered it a bit a that's why it spun. I did that about 3 times when i was learning how to launch the car..car still drives fine ..a little more wear and tear maybe but oh well..gives me a chance to stick in a 3 puck carbon fiber clutch..not!..anyways, i find what works best for me is rpms about 4-5 and *pop* and then pop the clutch..
Old 01-23-2001, 04:58 PM

The stock clutch is a real weak link. I smoked mine at my first autoX, what a stink. Mugen makes a stronger pressure plate that fixed my problem. I've read elsewhere that ACT has a much stronger clutch out now for the S2K.
Old 01-23-2001, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by John David

I have never heard of the term spining your clutch-- so just incase I'm wording it funny-- what I mean is that the clutch never grabbed hence it felt like it was spining.
You weren't spining (sic) your clutch you had clutch 'slip'.

It happened to me 12 months ago in exactly the same way you describe and no, unless you do this regularly, you will not have any long term problems.
Old 01-24-2001, 03:52 AM

The clutch hasn't slipped on me (yet), though, I can already tell that it's pretty weak. I had a racing clutch in my previous car and that things did bite :-) Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows any good heavy duty clutches for the S2000? ... I'm sure mine will need replacing eventually so i'd like to start looiing into it.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:35 PM

I did this exact same thing last night!

I felt horrible afterwards....ruined my night. So I take it more people have done this as well. Is this a sign that the clutch is gonna need replacing soon, or just tellin me to chill a little?

It's the 1st time it has happened and I only drove it about 5-7 miles home afterwards.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:42 PM

I had the same thing happen to me twice - I am also looking into a stronger clutch.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:42 PM

i did the same thing at one point...very embarassing...my clutch had maybe 500 miles on it when it happened (warranty replacement for buzz). no problems since.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:44 PM

did it really buzz or did you make it up....i really want to hear this buzz to get a new clutch...I have 24k miles and I'm sure ones coming soon anyway

Quick Reply: spun my clutch last night