S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Steering wheel w/out airbag?

Old 07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel w/out airbag?

I wanted to know how big of an issue it would be to use an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag. I know some members use it but is it really dangerous to use on the street if there is an accident? Has airbag technology come far enough where one cant argue anymore that they they do little to save the driver in a crash?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read, wearing a seat belt gives you an 80+% chance increase in survivabilty in a wreck. The airbag adds about another 12-15%. Keeps your pretty face from getting messed up too. In a hi-G frontal impact, it might act something like a Hans device too and keep your head from ripping loose from the rest of your body.

It is safe? Not as safe. Safe enough depends on you.

I sometimes wonder if insurance companies will refuse to pay if you actively disable safety features.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 AM

Why on earth would you want to risk it? Is having a cool looking steering wheel such an ego boost that you'd trade that for potential injury or even your life?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 AM

Isn't it also illegal in most places to remove the airbag in a car that was equipped with one from the factory?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cmdr s,Jul 25 2006, 10:58 AM
Is having a cool looking steering wheel such an ego boost that you'd trade that for potential injury or even your life?
Quit the assumptions. I hate the diameter of the steering wheel and wanted to get something smaller. I have driven a 1990 bmw 3 series with a momo steering wheel that had a very short diameter and it was very fun to drive b/c of it. Therefore I would want to install a shorter steering wheel but wanted to knwo the true facts as to whether or not it significantly increases your chances of getting hurt or killed in a crash.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

IMO, you would be extraordinarily foolish to disable or remove your air bag in a standard configuration of the car. One might make an argument with racing harnesses attached to a roll cage but even then, I can't see why you would want to remove an air bag. That air bag keeps you from impaling yourself on the steering column and bashing your face into or through the windshield. Seat belts stretch and the mounting points move in a crash. Not to mention the fact that the steering column and the rest of the car ahead of you move toward you as they deform. Don't do it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project22a,Jul 25 2006, 03:00 PM
Isn't it also illegal in most places to remove the airbag in a car that was equipped with one from the factory?
I thought the same thing.

anyway, I run a small momo wheel in my 84 GTI.. the center is metal. it would break my face badly. not a big issue since the car is made from tin cans to begin with and it didn't come with an air bag.

Personally I don't think I could consciously remove a drivers side air bag and be confortable driving the car, seeing as an airbag did save my face in a near head on collision into a concrete wall (wohoo!)
Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 AM

I tell you what. Go watch some crash test videos with those crash test dummies and re-evaluate what is important to you.

Looks/Feel or Safety/Your teeth
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 PM

Nice. Another one of these threads. Just keep the stock steering wheel. I doubt that the diameter detracts so much from the driving experience as to make you want to swap it out, at the cost of jeopardizing your safety.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM

to answer your first question: airbags saves thousands of lives each year. if that doesnt justify it's existence i don't know of anything else that will.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel w/out airbag?