S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is the Stook a lemon?

Old 03-05-2001, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I fell in love with the car the first time I laid eyes on it. Now that I'm ready to buy, I find this discussion forum, where everyone is discussing the problems with the car. Engine failures, clutch problems, and even problems with the top seem to be common dispite the limited distribution.

I'm not trying to troll the list, but part of the appeal of the s2000 is that it's a Honda, which has a good reputation for reliability. Should I expect problems if I buy the car?
Old 03-05-2001, 04:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think it falls under the 'Lemon' title.

It was a fairly bold move on Honda's part to come out with a car like this and many of us are extremely grateful for this.

You have to remember that this is a very enthusiastic and vocal minority of the larger S2000 community here.

The S has had it's problems, many of which have been weeded out (1-2 grind comes to mind), some of which we are still finding. There are others who have done things well outside the reasonable or 'common sense' definitions of car treatment and are a little sore about the problems which have occured as a result.

If you are after a reliable, low maintenance run about the Honda Accord is just fine. If you want something a little closer to the bleeding edge it doesn't get better than the S.

Now, did I forget to mention that I'm dropping my S off for short block replacement on 19 March . Where else can you get a new engine at 10K.
Old 03-05-2001, 04:59 AM
Tox

Originally posted by jagoodwi
...Should I expect problems if I buy the car?
Of course not.

Everyone who buys a Honda expects it to be reliable, and as far as I can tell the great majority of S2000s are. But if your car runs like a train and has no problems it doesn't make for very interesting posts. ("Hi, my car started right up again today, the transmission didn't grind, the differential didn't break, and the wheels didn't fall off!") A thousand posts a day like this could get old fast.

On the other hand, if your #4 cylinder goes to that machine shop in the sky, or your differential suddlenly reverts to unlimited slip on both sides, you're going to post it. (This is not to criticize those who have described their problems here, mind you. They're perfectly justified in being annoyed, and I'm as interested as anyone in hearing the details.)

Just keep in mind that most of these cars are doing just fine, and that Honda has taken care of nearly all the rest under warranty. And it's hard to say whether the frequency of serious problems that people have reported is even unusual for a Honda. (We may have our suspicions about this, but we don't know.) You'd need the full repair history from all S2000s to know, and we don't have that. What IS unusual is our ability to hear about them directly from the owners.
Old 03-05-2001, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the April, 2001 Consumers Reports.

The S2000 gets their BEST "frequency of repair" record, even beating the Honda Accord!

That should mean more than 55,000 posts on http://www.s2000online.com .

Every whinge comes to light here. The overwhelming majority of us are extremely happy with our choice. That includes those of us who have had a major problem.

Also, if you can get it, read the July, 2000 Consumers Reports. There's a pretty conservative journal that put the S2000 at the top.

Barry
Old 03-05-2001, 05:34 AM
Tox

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
Check out the April, 2001 Consumers Reports.

The S2000 gets their BEST "frequency of repair" record, even beating the Honda Accord!...
CR's data comes from subscribers that fill out a questionnaire about their cars and major appliances. I can't quite remember when I filled mine out for this year, but it was quite a few months ago. Assuming all the questionnaires go out at the same time, CR's auto repair database would not include MY2001.

It'll be very interesting to see if there is a change for the S2000 next year, or whether these problems are rare enough not to affect the overall rating.
Old 03-05-2001, 06:08 AM

I think the S2000 is a great car! Yes, even though I am having some problems with it, it is one of the few that are going through this if you look at the entire picture. AHM has been working with me to resolve the issue and very accomodating to insure customer satisfaction. I also believe in the end they will give me the assurance I need to prove the vehicle reliability.

The repair posts get a lot of attention, because it is human nature to look for a negative and focus on that rather than looking at the positives. I think the saying goes: It takes 10 positive to correct 1 negative.

I post my problems on the board to get feedback from my other Stook extended family members. Hoping that I will get some advise or positive comments on how to approach the situation. Yes, you get other welcomed advise, but it is up to the individual to sort out what to take and what not too.

I LOVE my car (and my wife ). I would buy another S2000 in a second without any hesitation. It is a fabulous machine that everyone who appreciates good craftsmanship should own.

There are positives all over the board. Look at them. AusS200, Tox, & Barry WY are right on the car magazines, owners, & percent of problems actual present a good picture. I cann't wait for Spring, put the top down and hit the mountains. Then when I post on the board you will wish you did not have listen to me GLOWING on what a great feeling Stook life really is.

BUY THE CAR OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!
Old 03-05-2001, 06:38 AM

Thanks then, I guess it's a go for purchase! I'm planning this car to be my daily driver, so I want to make sure it's reasonably reliable before I put my cash down.

Spa yellow, here i come!

Jon
Old 03-05-2001, 06:50 AM

You won't regret your decision. There are many other owners who are satisfied with their cars.

Just remember that the negative feeling you've been experiencing from reading about these problems is inherent in the nature of these boards. Just go to the Boxster board or the TT board and it would not be difficult to conclude that those cars are lemons as well.

[Edited by David on 03-05-2001 at 08:02 AM]
Old 03-05-2001, 07:00 AM

Glad you are going for it!

You will not regret it. Welcome to the "World of Stook" it is world all of its own. Remember the breakin period and read the manual, once you do that then it is off to a VTEC experience that you will love.
Old 03-05-2001, 08:21 AM

Just remember, very few people are going to post: "No problems today; car running just fine!"

Quick Reply: Is the Stook a lemon?