S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Storage Options

Old 09-02-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Just an update. I decided on a drop in one car garage, 12x20, built locally by Amish folks. It comes comes complete with a reinforced floor for cars. It was only slightly more than the kit I linked above, about $4k. I couldn't come to terms with leaving it with a 3rd party somewhere, and local storage units are so pricey that I'll pay for the garage in 2 years.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Garage will take about 8 weeks to get delivered, just in time for storage. Looking forward to having a roof over her head.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Sounds great.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Appears to be a great price! This a set-up price or do you have to provide an improved pad for it? Zoning? Building permit?

I paid more for one of those quick built sheds from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago. I think it was 10'x12'. It came in sections on a truck and was assembled in about 2 hours by two guys. At my new home the trucked-in 10'x16' (max my new HOA allows) was more expensive as well. Literally trucked in and slid over part of my backyard fence, rotated 90° and set on piers -- one very special truck with one guy. Scary to watch!

-- Chuck
Old 09-02-2018, 07:15 PM

That's delivered. All that's needed is a 3/4 crushed stone base, leveled. Easy Pease. I do need a permit but zoning is fine since it's a non permanent structure and it can be place at least 10 feet from the property line.

So at that price, it was hard to beat. The place (Amish Mike's) has about 40 different sheds on the lot from these folks and the craftsmanship is outstanding. It was a no Brainer for me.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Most anything would be a step up from leaving the car sit outside, but you've taken quite a leap with this move. Nicely done.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 1,342 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Good deal, great solution. Will probably increase property value as well.

Prep that base well. Rent one of those vibrating tampers. The size of a lawn mower, with a flat base. It will really tamp the stone so no uneven settling later. Maybe make a stack of those two foot square cement slabs meant for sidewalk pavers, place one stack in each corner, dig extra deep in the corners, so these stacks are deeper than he rest of the gravel base. Then tamp the base so its level with the blocks.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:07 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I looked into adding a similar small outbuilding to get lawn and garden stuff our of the garage to make more room for car stuff. Problem for me is that we don't have much in the way of flat ground anywhere and the cost of the pad turns out to be quite high. So, I suffer with lawn mowers and trimmers, etc etc all over the place and I just have to work around them. But, at least I do have a good two bay garage with concrete floor and good roof.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:13 PM

Default Updated! Garage Delivered...

I figured I'd update everyone on the Garage with a picture! The quality is astounding. I could not have built anything this good for the price paid. 12x20 with a 9 foot rollup door.

I will be putting the car into storage shortly - I just need to build up the ramp with some stone that will be delivered tomorrow (you'll notice a 3" drop from the diamond plate/floor sill of the garage to the ramp).

I had a follow up question - being this is in the backyard, it's not heated. Temps in NJ get down to the teens or single digits over winter. I've been trying to get a solid answer on if it's OK to leave the summer tires in place. They are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, and I've read conflicting information on whether it really matters. It seems to matter more about moving the vehicle in frigid temps rather than the tires just being on the car in storage. Any thoughts on this? I don't have a spare set of tires to swap just for storage. I considered pulling them from the car and storing them in my basement, but then I have concerns about leaving it on jack stands with the suspension unsupported.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Very nice outcome on that garage. I like it.

I wouldn't worry about the tires. It isn't like the old bias ply days where you get flat spots. I would NOT put it on stands. Put a bucket of DampRid in the interior to deal with changing temps and humidity. Also put moth balls in pantyhose for the engine bay and steel wool in the tailpipes for varmints that may sneak in.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

That garage looks solid! God damn, those amish do some great work for affordable prices.

On a side note, my car loves the cold NJ winter air. AUT cooling plate leading directly to my intake, I know she's getting some frosty ram air right to the back of the throat. And she really sings.

Quick Reply: Storage Options