S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Storing Car for Long Period of TIme

Old 09-27-2014, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Car for Long Period of TIme

Hey guys, so in a few weeks I will be making the move from California to Michigan for work. I was thinking about parting out my car and selling the s2000 but I honestly think I will regret it.

So the plan is to store the car here in Cali until I get settled in and then ill ship the car to Michigan during spring or summer. I will probably pick up a more practical car while im there in the upcoming weeks.

What suggestions do you have for storing the car for such a long period of time. I do not have anyone that will turn on or drive the car periodically. When I left my RSX parked for 5 weeks, I cam back to buldge spots on the tires and had to replace 2 of them. When I didnt drive my s2000 for a week after my recent surgery, my electronics (dash cam and radio) were reset.

I know there are some guys here that store their cars for winter, any suggestions? I am supercharged if that makes any difference.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HOW MUCH TIME EXACTLY ITS GONNA BE STORED ?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 AM

Let's day mid October to April. I might be back in December for a week I may or may not drive
Old 09-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Not sure of your location. If you are local I can do that for you. I am on 5 acres, plenty of storage (outdoors) and pretty much no crime. I leave my cars unlocked and have for 15 years. Dogs do help. I have had other friends store boats and cars here.

If you are going to sell it, I imagine a better price would be gained here.

Top off the gas tank, I mean top it off and add Sta-Bil. Hook up battery minder. If someone is going to run it, it should be run for at least 20 minutes for proper warm up.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

I recommend Private Car Storage in Pasadena. I did a lot of research on places to store cars in the LA area last year. There were only a small handful of places I would consider. This one was the best. If I didn't have the great deal of keeping my third vehicle at my friend's place for dirt cheap, I would either have it here or at a facility I found in San Pedro. All of your concerns (battery, tire flat spots, etc) can be addressed by this place. You know how picky I am too, so you know I did my homework.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/private-car-storage-pasadena

Best wishes in your new adventure in Michigan, Ahmad!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Try a search for car storage on S2KI, you should find a lengthy post on options/ideas for storage.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store my car for a year at a time seeing as I'm stationed in Japan and am only home to drive it on leave. I put it in my storage building a let it sit after I do a little bit of work prior to storage. I don't trust anyone to go a start her up to drive her and I've read that letting it run for a few minutes a month can do more harm than good. So I hard-park the car until I'm back for another visit. I have yet to have any issues, and I have a higher mileage car AP1

- PLace a sheet of plastic (from home depot) down in the storage building. It helps you see fluid leaks that would otherwise seep into the concrete floor. also helps block moisture from the concrete floor.
- Top off the gas tank with fuel and add a full bottle of sta-bil. Make sure to drive some with the sta-bil in the tank to let in mix throughout the system.
- Fresh oil change and check all fluids. In my opinion, if you are close to changing the transmission or diff fluids, go ahead before storage.
- remove the battery and leave it with a friend or relative to put on a battery tender
- remove the spark plugs and put a tablespoon or teaspoon (whichever is smaller, I forget) of oil in each tube and put the sparkplugs back in
- place tube sock over exhaust and intake to keep the critters out or to make it obvious that they got into that place if the chew through it.
- wash and wax with a full interior detail before parking. Don't want any smells to get worse while it sits.
- soft top up but not latched and windows cracked. I keep a tub of silicon beads in the passenger foot well to collect any moisture
- air tires up to max psi on sidewall and park with carpet under each tire. Minimizes flat spot and any that are there will go away after maybe 5 mins of normal driving in my experience. (I have read it is terrible to leave the suspension ,OEM or aftermarket, without a load on it, so I never leave it on jackstands liek I would with a different car.)
- chock the rear tires and take it out of gear and leave the e-brake off
- Finish it all off with a car cover.

Following this for the past few years has paid off and I go home every year for a visit with a minty fresh s2000 that's clean and ready to go. I remove the socks and check the fluids. I pull the fuel pump fuse before starting and crank it a few times to get some oil to some parts before letting her fire up. I back out of the storage building and let her idle up to temp outside while I inspect the plastic for any fluid leaks. after She is warmed up I always do a shakedown drive for a little while and then before ending my trip near the end, I always v-tec. After being away for a year at a time, it sure does make me happy. Of course, all this won't be necessary when I come back stateside next year. Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:51 PM

I use to store my rsx every year for about 6 months during the winter season.

if you want to avoid flat spots leave the car on jacks with no wheels on,

fill up the gas tank and add fuel stabilizer, and keep a battery tender hooked up to it.

i usually block off the exhaust to avoid having anything climb in there
Old 09-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Not sure of your location. If you are local I can do that for you. I am on 5 acres, plenty of storage (outdoors) and pretty much no crime. I leave my cars unlocked and have for 15 years. Dogs do help. I have had other friends store boats and cars here.

If you are going to sell it, I imagine a better price would be gained here.

Top off the gas tank, I mean top it off and add Sta-Bil. Hook up battery minder. If someone is going to run it, it should be run for at least 20 minutes for proper warm up.
Hey, Thanks for the offer, Im located in Orange County its quite a bit away from you. I know for a fact id get more if I sold it in CALI which is why I think I might keep the car here till I decide what to do.

Originally Posted by RMurphy
I recommend Private Car Storage in Pasadena. I did a lot of research on places to store cars in the LA area last year. There were only a small handful of places I would consider. This one was the best. If I didn't have the great deal of keeping my third vehicle at my friend's place for dirt cheap, I would either have it here or at a facility I found in San Pedro. All of your concerns (battery, tire flat spots, etc) can be addressed by this place. You know how picky I am too, so you know I did my homework.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/private-car-storage-pasadena

Best wishes in your new adventure in Michigan, Ahmad!
Thank you Rosanne! I am pretty scared shitless and sad about leaving, but good opportunity so I cant say no.

I will look into the private car storage and knowing that you recommended them goes a long way for me.

As of right now, I can store the car in my moms garage.

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Try a search for car storage on S2KI, you should find a lengthy post on options/ideas for storage.
thank you, I read some posts last night that helped a lot

Originally Posted by TixonPB
I store my car for a year at a time seeing as I'm stationed in Japan and am only home to drive it on leave. I put it in my storage building a let it sit after I do a little bit of work prior to storage. I don't trust anyone to go a start her up to drive her and I've read that letting it run for a few minutes a month can do more harm than good. So I hard-park the car until I'm back for another visit. I have yet to have any issues, and I have a higher mileage car AP1

- PLace a sheet of plastic (from home depot) down in the storage building. It helps you see fluid leaks that would otherwise seep into the concrete floor. also helps block moisture from the concrete floor.
- Top off the gas tank with fuel and add a full bottle of sta-bil. Make sure to drive some with the sta-bil in the tank to let in mix throughout the system.
- Fresh oil change and check all fluids. In my opinion, if you are close to changing the transmission or diff fluids, go ahead before storage.
- remove the battery and leave it with a friend or relative to put on a battery tender
- remove the spark plugs and put a tablespoon or teaspoon (whichever is smaller, I forget) of oil in each tube and put the sparkplugs back in
- place tube sock over exhaust and intake to keep the critters out or to make it obvious that they got into that place if the chew through it.
- wash and wax with a full interior detail before parking. Don't want any smells to get worse while it sits.
- soft top up but not latched and windows cracked. I keep a tub of silicon beads in the passenger foot well to collect any moisture
- air tires up to max psi on sidewall and park with carpet under each tire. Minimizes flat spot and any that are there will go away after maybe 5 mins of normal driving in my experience. (I have read it is terrible to leave the suspension ,OEM or aftermarket, without a load on it, so I never leave it on jackstands liek I would with a different car.)
- chock the rear tires and take it out of gear and leave the e-brake off
- Finish it all off with a car cover.

Following this for the past few years has paid off and I go home every year for a visit with a minty fresh s2000 that's clean and ready to go. I remove the socks and check the fluids. I pull the fuel pump fuse before starting and crank it a few times to get some oil to some parts before letting her fire up. I back out of the storage building and let her idle up to temp outside while I inspect the plastic for any fluid leaks. after She is warmed up I always do a shakedown drive for a little while and then before ending my trip near the end, I always v-tec. After being away for a year at a time, it sure does make me happy. Of course, all this won't be necessary when I come back stateside next year. Hope this helps you out.
Thank you for writing this up! I will totally do all of this before i leave.

Originally Posted by aphan
I use to store my rsx every year for about 6 months during the winter season.

if you want to avoid flat spots leave the car on jacks with no wheels on,

fill up the gas tank and add fuel stabilizer, and keep a battery tender hooked up to it.

i usually block off the exhaust to avoid having anything climb in there
Thank you!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by desii
Let's day mid October to April. I might be back in December for a week I may or may not drive
Us Canadians store our S2000s for that long every year lol

Quick Reply: Storing Car for Long Period of TIme