S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Storing S2000 outside in the cold

Old 08-14-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Storing S2000 outside in the cold

I am currently planning to buy my second S2000 early next year, most likely around February or March. Next year is a transition for my wife an I as we'll be buying a new home at some point and we'll be moving out of our current home in February. The reason I'm targeting this general timeframe is because right now I'd have absolutely nowhere to store it, and I'm also hoping that prices come down a bit by then. I know I know, that might not happen. But I can hope.

My first S2000 had a hardtop and was usually stored in the garage, even though it was my DD for about a year. I'm not banking on buying this next one with a hardtop, so I am wondering how the soft top fairs if you store it outside for a few months in the cold. I'm not going to have a garage until at least summer/fall of next year. Obviously I'm assuming plenty of members have done this even if it isn't ideal. I live in New Jersey where we can have harsh winters. The snow really picked up around March last year, so if that happens again the car could see a few feet of snow.

And I know the option is there to buy the house first and then buy the S once I have a garage, but to be completely honest I've waited over 10 years to buy another and that could easily add another year to the timeline. If it was going to do irreputable damage to keep it outside in the cold for a few months then I wouldn't, which is why I'm asking all of you.

I'm 95% sure I'm buying a 2002 or newer S2000 so I'm more concerned about the soft top with the glass window, but I would buy a 2000-2001 if I found the right car.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Hope for an early spring. Nicer weather usually starts by late March/early April so you should be fine. Depending where/when you find the car maybe you'll be able to leave it there for a bit. A outside cover would be a help too, even for later to keep the dust/pollen off it.
Levi
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Plenty of S2k's live outside I'm sure. A few months outside is no big deal either.
Why not get the new home figured out first, moved in, settled... then look for an s2k once you know your garage situation etc.?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

In a similar situation here, haven't got the car yet, but it'll be in my possession hopefully within the next 6months.

I don't think I'll be able to garage it. I live in San Francisco where we deal with year long fog and morning dew. Winters can get fairly wet especially when we get hit with an atmospheric river. But I'm slightly concerned about the constant morning dew. Will the top be resistant to a moist environment?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

There's a S2000 in a self-store storage "room" where I parked my boat and travel trailer. Have no idea the monthly rental but it's secure and out of the weather.

-- Chuck
Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Car cover with some cam-buckle tie downs through the tie down points of the car cover so the wind doesn't push the cover off.
2. Keep car in gear as opposed to rear brake so it doesn't stick from the elements rusting up the rotors/pads.
3. Most importantly brush the snow off the top after a heavy snowfall as to not collapse from the weight.
4. Up to you, but I remove my battery and put on a tender as well.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Hope for an early spring. Nicer weather usually starts by late March/early April so you should be fine. Depending where/when you find the car maybe you'll be able to leave it there for a bit. A outside cover would be a help too, even for later to keep the dust/pollen off it.
Levi
I was considering a car cover, looks like some are in the $100 range which isn't bad at all.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
There's a S2000 in a self-store storage "room" where I parked my boat and travel trailer. Have no idea the monthly rental but it's secure and out of the weather.

-- Chuck
This is a good idea and I thought of it before, but it just would add to the expenses. If I have to do this I will though.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by common reactor
This is a good idea and I thought of it before, but it just would add to the expenses. If I have to do this I will though.
Is that a silversun pickups reference? (Your username)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by silenc3x
Is that a silversun pickups reference? (Your username)
Yes sir. They were one of my favorite bands when I joined S2KI back in 2006, and they still are.

Quick Reply: Storing S2000 outside in the cold