S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Streetable Racecar

Old 10-15-2000, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just reminiscing about being 16. I was lucky enough to have a guy up the street that was an avid AutoXer and parted with many wise words. In those days I was ready to hop up an old 240Z or something in that fashion. He begged the question, do you want to own a racecar that is nothing but trouble or a sporty street car that is reliable. Thankfully I bought a CRX and had years of enjoyment with my "quick" car. I was just wondering if there were others out there that felt like the quest for owning a true racecar has been satisfied. Granted our cars have many creature comforts but, in those days I dreamed of a car that had a quirky power curve, edgy handling, and without being driven hard sucked. Driven aggressively felt like a mini F1 car, and demanded incredible amounts of attention and skill and rewarded graciously. I thank Honda for making my dream of owning a racecar not be a nightmare.

Ole
White/Red
Old 10-15-2000, 08:40 PM
Former Moderator

A buddy of mine a few years ago had a kit car ( i forget the name ) 4 wheels 900lbs with a GSXR 1100 engine in the back. This was by far the closest thing I have driven to a race car. Save for my wonderfull Indy Lights driving experience...This thing would do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and pulled 1.07 G's. Unfortunatly a car like this eventully will meet its end. On a cold day with little traction he went spining off the road and hit a pole. The engine actually seperated from the chasis. as luck would have it he was none the worse for wear and thus ends his need for speed.
Old 10-15-2000, 08:42 PM

My need is not yet fulfilled. I yearn to have both a reliable quick car, and a full blown racer, both being seperate cars. My day shall come.
Old 10-15-2000, 08:44 PM
dbw

two words;lotus seven.
Old 10-15-2000, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Mindcore:
Save for my wonderfull Indy Lights driving experience...
Could you tell me more about this, as I am an avid CART fan!
Old 10-16-2000, 07:45 AM
Former Moderator

I too am a huge Cart fan, I took a 3 day driving course driving Formula 2000's around the track in between a lot of class work. on the last day there were 2 indy lights cars. and everybody in the class had the oprotunity to do 10 laps in it. Funny enough out of the 12 people in the class only 5 of us took up thier offer. ( a big part of the reason was that you were charged 300 bucks every time you droped a wheel off the track, it could have added up to big bucks)luckily for me I was in Vegas and had just won enough money to enjoy myself. The difference was night and day. Like driving a Hyundai and the S2K back to back. It was unbelivably fast and corners so hard that I thought my eye balls were gonna burst. In the pits it took all my strength to turn the wheel but it really lightend up at speed. however once in a bad power oversteer turn I pulled my arm mucles so bad I couldn't even pick up my cards the next day. These Drivers are in better shape then I think we all know. This was almost 2 years ago and I still dream about it. I still reccomend the F2000 course though $3000 and a whole lot of fun.
Old 10-16-2000, 08:55 AM

Thats awesome! Is that the Spenard School(sp?)... I've seen ads for the F2000 school where the picture in the ad shows a Bridgestone F2000 car...
Old 10-16-2000, 11:49 AM

Owning a racecar is a hassle.
With things you might not even think about.
Like buying parts.
I remember going to the local auto parts place trying to buy a front wheel seal for my Nissan racecar. Well the guy asks me what kind of car it is. So I have to explain that it is a Nissan 200sx tubeframe rwd car. So they usually say at this point that a 200sx is fwd. duh. So then you get to try and see if the can match the old one. And thats just one thing. You also have to transport it(trailer&truck). Someone to help crew it. And also keep in mind most of the suspension parts are custom made for your particular car so always buy spares.
Road Racing cars is way too much fun. I guess that is why I am willing to put up with all the hassles and money spent. lots of money.

And dbw is right. want a street legal racecar buy a Lotus 7.