S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Suggestions on how to get an S2000 with a military salary (ie;small)

Old 05-03-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on how to get an S2000 with a military salary (ie;small)

So here is my dilemma and I was hoping some of you might be able to give some advice. I'm coming out of grad school soon and will most likely going into the Air Force for engineering this fall. The problem is this: You don't make big bucks in the military and this will hinder my long term goal of getting an S2000 after graduation. I'm young so I figure get it now if any time.....

Does anyone have any advice on how I could do both the military and an S2000 short of eating ramen noodles for 5 years?

Here are my options as I see it:
-don't buy an s2000 and get something else
-buy a used s2000 (although I'd be real worried about wear and tear)
-try and find a hell of a deal somewhere
-break the bank getting a new one

-suggestions? Any military people have some advice? My civic is about to die, so I'm gonna have to do something in the next 6 months.....
Old 05-03-2003, 05:01 PM

how about you get a job at some other engineering workplace like i plan to do...then, gain some expertise and enter the military(if you have some sort of obligation/responsibility/legacy to maintain..otherwise I haven't a clue why you'd join up when you could make $$ as an engineer for a private firm that contracts with the military) Used S2000's should be perfectly fine it is, after all, a honda. and it's designed to be used hard. If you can't afford it, don't break the bank to get it; wait until you can afford to have your cake and eat it too. I have to give mine up to start school...can't afford it if i can't keep my source of income. Sacrifices for the greater(or future) good.

Quick2K
Old 05-03-2003, 05:53 PM

Lease it and hopefully u can buy it after the lease.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Jonesy has just a little more sense of duty to his country than you do. You know, give a little before you take.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:22 PM

Jonesy,

Unless you are married with kids, get yourself an ensign-mobile (or in your case a lieutenant-mobile). You'll get enough pay to carry the loan (although not much else). You may not get another chance to get a real sports car for quite a few years. And if you get it paid off before the kids come, you can keep it forever.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:28 PM

Check out USAA Savings Bank or National Bank of Fort Sam Houston (both in San Antonio) for a car loan. They to offer special rates to newly commissioned officers.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:29 PM

They used to offer special rates....
Old 05-03-2003, 07:30 PM

My experience with the military is that YOU will be making BIG bucks compared to my fellow first term enlisted buddies. So take your (ie;small) question someplace else.

Get the car and eat top ramen...not
Old 05-03-2003, 07:35 PM
mas

If you do decide to get an S2000, used or new, just remember you'd get the best deals in the dead of winter.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:04 PM

You sould have no problems making your payments as an O-1. You'd be making more than me for sure (I'm an E-5) and I don't struggle. I had $5K saved to put down and I financed the remianing $27K through a credit union (I think 6.9%apr). My payments are about 550 a month and I had it allotted straight to the credit union so I never even see it (it's like the car is free! ).
You can get it insured through USAA. They have great rates and they're very military-friendly.
Also, I'd recommend keeping the Civic running so you can have something to drive to and from the base. I'm not sure how Air Force (or officer, for that matter) parking is but I'd think twice about parking the S on a Navy base. Too many inconsiderate door-dingers for my taste.
As for the noodles, I prefer Maruchan. They have more flavor than other brands and the foam cup is included in the deal. Try the California Vegetable or Roast Chicken. Yummy!

Quick Reply: Suggestions on how to get an S2000 with a military salary (ie;small)