S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

surprised about used oe parts value

Old 10-18-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surprised about used oe parts value

Quick random rant

I cant believe the stock front licence plate mount is going for 30 $ on ebay. I dont run a front plate but decided to keep it if I get hasseled by the cops for not having it.

Also stock shift knob for about 20 $ that makes sense. Keeping this if I want to return to stock or use for another car it is nice.

Spark plug cover 30-50 $ I leave mine off but also will keep to return to stock if I ever sell.

Cruise control modual 20 $ mines out never liked cruise on this car to addicting to keep punching the gas.

so if I sold these items id be roughly 100 $ richer but I just like the flexibility of keeping them. Dont know why i felt like writing this. I guess im just looking for someone to side with me on this.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh oe parts on limited production cars tend to bring more money down the road than that of civics and things like that. The s2k isn't by any means rare but clean parts are getting harder and harder to find and they retain their value because of this and continue to climb.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOn't forget to add the 10-15% ebay and paypal fees and shipping + packaging costs..
Old 10-19-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Some parts are definitely going up in price while others are just overpriced. Headlights in good shape with ballasts and bulbs with no broken tabs are selling for over twice the price of a few years ago. Cat back exhausts that can't be shipped and rarely wear out are often way overpriced and don't sell. Exhaust manifolds are often similarly priced. Some items that can go bad over time (axles, starters, alternators, etc) seem to hold their value well but don't vary much in price over time.

Years ago I started stocking up on bargain used replacement parts knowing I will eventually need them. Some of them haven't changed much in value and others could be resold for a tidy profit. But my primary reason for buying them is because I'm concerned that it's going to get harder to find good low mileage AP1 parts years from now.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Floor mats is something that's gone WAY up. Even Majestic's price for them is very high.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mom has an MGB that I am the caretaker of. This is a car that hasn't been produced since 1980, but they made about half a million of them. Due to the large numbers built, it's still relatively easy and inexpensive to find most parts whether you want used OEM or new reproductions. Unfortunately, many of the replacement parts are really low quality parts coming out of India, China, etc. Part of the problem is so many owners wanting cheap replacement parts so manufacturers cut corners wherever they can. I'm talking about simple parts like a thermostat housing requiring grinding just to make it fit, rubber parts that disintegrate in six months, condensers that are junk right out of the box, etc.

Some day, new OEM parts won't be available anymore except for people who are so fond of them that they charge exorbitant amounts for them. If you don't take anything else away from this post, it's that somebody will need to produce new parts for our cars someday. We as consumers have the power to pay with our wallets, and if you want the best quality replacement parts for your beloved car, you just might have to pay a little more for them.

I see a lot of owners even on this site, who want to cheap out on repairs and buy the least expensive parts they can. This will hurt all owners in the long term when parts makers can't justify building high quality parts.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd keep the parts if you have room for them.

The $100 you'd make now is a small fraction of the money you'd make with all the OEM parts available to the new owner (or, even better, installed back on the car) if you ever sell it.

There are many folks who won't even look at a non-stock S2k (many many threads on here about that). so being able to return it to stock before you sell it will bring you top dollar.