S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Suspension Question Springs VS Coilovers

Old 11-03-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suspension Question Springs VS Coilovers

Hey,
Had a quick question i am getting an s2000 really soon and the car is set up now with Elipser springs. I have heard good things about these springs as far as ride and handling. I am interested in a really nice drop i really like to tuck my wheels on my cars. I know alot of you guys dont care for that because of the fact its not best for handling but i like what i like. So my question is what is the most aggresive drop out there for the price? What springs lower the car the most? I know coilovers are more beneficial because of the adjustablity but i dont have the money for them at the moment. Also if you guys can post pics of your drops with the type of suspension you guys are running. Thanx alot peace
Old 11-03-2006, 05:25 PM
jah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the s2000 is most perfect oem, but all things grow old

-get a stuff with known performance on the s2000.

-lowering the car even 1" will change handling BIG time. plan a shop that will help you find a new sweet spot alignment.

-KSport (inexpensive) coilovers max drop is 1.5" which didnt look odd, i used 1" tho.

2" possible, yes? as you know for very low settings cause suspension parts to fight eachother, the handling on the s2000 is sweet and deviation even a small amount produces WILD BAD. if you must do it be ware.

just springs or coilovers whatever, you will major phuck the handling if not done with care. the s2k sensative this area.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Jew,Nov 3 2006, 08:44 PM
Hey,
Had a quick question i am getting an s2000 really soon and the car is set up now with Elipser springs. I have heard good things about these springs as far as ride and handling. I am interested in a really nice drop i really like to tuck my wheels on my cars. I know alot of you guys dont care for that because of the fact its not best for handling but i like what i like. So my question is what is the most aggresive drop out there for the price? What springs lower the car the most? I know coilovers are more beneficial because of the adjustablity but i dont have the money for them at the moment. Also if you guys can post pics of your drops with the type of suspension you guys are running. Thanx alot peace
I wish I could help you out, but you are going in a direction I would not go, so naturally I don't have any worthwhile experience to contribute. I'm sure I couldn't live with the results, but I'd like to know what you think of it once it's done. I'm curious as to the kinds of problems you're going to have to address and in knowing about how you address them.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:05 PM

It is not true that lowering the car an inch changes the handling BIG TIME.
(EDIT: Lowering the car an inch CAN change the handling BIG TIME, but that's not always the case. )
Old 11-03-2006, 06:13 PM

I understand what you guys are saying totally and i respect everyones opinion. I just personally love the look of a car being "DUMPED" "SLAMMED" Tucking the wheels in the wheel well. I understand that by me doing this the ride will suck most likely and, the car wont handle the way it was Designed. I have always had cars dropped a tremendous amount and the ride well i got used to it. I saw k-sport coilovers and there not too cheap. But you said they only drop 1.5 inch how could that be its a coilover? For example here is a drop i would love
so i guess is there any springs out there that drop 2" or more?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you not care about trashing your OEM shocks?

Better add at least Konis to the setup. Once you do that, IMO you might as well get Ground Controls which will give the drop you want the right way. The S2000 deserves better than aftermarket springs on OEM shocks which weren't designed to handle them.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Jew,Nov 3 2006, 10:13 PM
I understand what you guys are saying totally and i respect everyones opinion. I just personally love the look of a car being "DUMPED" "SLAMMED" Tucking the wheels in the wheel well. I understand that by me doing this the ride will suck most likely and, the car wont handle the way it was Designed. I have always had cars dropped a tremendous amount and the ride well i got used to it. I saw k-sport coilovers and there not too cheap. But you said they only drop 1.5 inch how could that be its a coilover? For example here is a drop i would love so i guess is there any springs out there that drop 2" or more?
I like the look too, but give handling and a little ride comfort a higher priority. I'm sure you know what you're getting into, and it's your car and your choice. I don't mean to sound critical; I'm just explaining why I can't be helpful. All I could do is tell you the reasons I wouldn't go the route you are going, and that won't help at all.

After a two inch drop, how much travel will you have left before the suspension hits the bump stops? You can only cut them down a limited amount without exceeding the design stroke of the OEM shocks, so as Chris pointed out, you should probably plan on new shocks anyway, and given that, you might as well go with a coil-over to start with. Unless you do a ton of other mods, a 2 inch drop isn't going to be a good thing for the handling, but if you want a cool looking cruiser rather than a sharp handling sports car then issues like tire wear and handling may not matter at all. I've driven slammed cars (CCR has a few) and if you can stand 'em, more power to ya.

Personally, I think dropping the car two inches with just springs is going to be a problem. I haven't tried it, so I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine that you'd be happy with less than a full coil-over setup. Either way you go, keep us posted. I'm sure you are not the only person who'd like to slam the car as inexpensively as possible, and they can learn from your mistakes. j/k

Good luck making it all work acceptably well.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is a 1" drop with eibach springs that leaves the car almost stock handling (it actually feels better to me than it did stock, but the tires/wheels could be contributing to that too)... i had "an aggressive street alignment" done after the drop to keep it from rubbing. it rubbed before the alignment-
with more than 1" drop, you gotta start thinking about rubbing issues

Old 11-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Nov 4 2006, 08:01 AM
this is a 1" drop with eibach springs that leaves the car almost stock handling (it actually feels better to me than it did stock, but the tires/wheels could be contributing to that too)... i had "an aggressive street alignment" done after the drop to keep it from rubbing. it rubbed before the alignment-
with more than 1" drop, you gotta start thinking about rubbing issues

See that 1" drop on your bro wouldnt do it for me at all. I know the oem shocks wouldnt last very long with a car being dumped like that which is why i would of course get shocks koni/agx something aftermarket. I appreciate everyones opinions though and everyone likes what they like. I probably should care more about the ride and handling quality more than look but i guess i dont? thanx though if anyone has more pics post em up. How much do those ground controls go for? Peace
Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 AM

O forgot to add i will most likely have to roll the fenders which is fine if it will make the drop i want ok to drive with.

Quick Reply: Suspension Question Springs VS Coilovers