S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Techniques for Smokers Driving the S2K

Old 08-29-2003, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techniques for Smokers Driving the S2K

I need to solicite some advise from the smokers who own an S2K. Unfortunatly, I'm a smoker and smoking while driving is one of the few pleasures I get from this nasty habit. But as you all know the S2K does not lend itself well to the needs of the smoker (no ashtray, no lighter, wind blown ashes coming back into the car...). Since I care greatly for my cars and don't want to cause any of the typical "smoker's car" type damage I'd like to hear from other smokers and find what little tricks you may have come up with that allows you to smoke in the car without harming your baby.

PS - For those tempted to post things like "Quit Smoking!" or "Don't Smoke in the Car!" I'll just say in advance "Thanks Mom."
Old 08-29-2003, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i'm having one, i roll up both windows, but leave the drivers side down just enough so that it produces a 1 inch crack at the a-pillar.

i hold the cig. in my left hand (obviously) and the smoke trails out of the crack perfectly. i flick my ashes through the crack too - the "vacuum" effect eliminates all ashes and smoke from entering the cabin.

and yes, i need to quit too......easier said than done, however.

ps. you HAVE to roll up the passenger window. doesn't work with just one window up (not sure why).
Old 08-29-2003, 06:50 AM

just smoke with the top down. flick the ashes towards the sky and don't forget to clean the roll hoop since the ashes tend to fly in that direction.

i hardly ever smoke with the top up anymore.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:52 AM

I don't smoke regularly (anymore), but I'll have one once in a while, usually in the car...smoking while driving is just one of life's simple pleasures for me.

Aside from the lack of an ashtray, I haven't found smoking in the S2000 to be very different from smoking in any other car. I do what PLYRS 3 does - I just stick the cigarette through a slightly open window, and the ashes will naturally go outside.

The only difference is that I hold the cigarette in my right hand (was never very good at anything with my left hand), so I end up having to switch hands whenever I ash.

Smoking with the top down, now, is quite a bit harder. I've done it a few times, but don't anymore because of all the wind potentially blowing the cherry off.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PLYRS 3
[B]when i'm having one, i roll up both windows, but leave the drivers side down just enough so that it produces a 1 inch crack at the a-pillar.

i hold the cig. in my left hand (obviously) and the smoke trails out of the crack perfectly.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by PLYRS 3

sorry guys......i should have stated that this is my method for TOP-DOWN smoking......

i sit extremely low in the car (you have to see it to believe it) so i'm not affected by wind.

even with the top down - the little crack i keep open still produces a vacuum effect - try it.
Sweet! I'll give this a shot at lunch today since I've already got the top down and the dust boot on.

Old 08-29-2003, 08:38 AM

if it works, you owe me a pack of marlborough lights
Old 08-29-2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by LemonHead
"Thanks Mom."
Your Welcome.

As an ex-smoker, it's not hard to quit if you want to, but you really must want to.

To all the replies about flicking the ashes out the window or over the top, I just love the ashes & butts plastered all over (and inside) my car Why don't you just keep the tops up, keep the windows up, and if you don't have the ashtray option, just use the floor boards or passenger seat. That would help keep the ashes & butts out of my floor boards, passenger seat, grille, paint, cowl, etc.

If smokers would take the time to be considerate of others and their own environment, the ex-smokers & non-smokers would be much more tolerant. I just love to see the wildfires started at the edges of roadways.

I have friends that are considerate smokers, I have acquaintances that are inconsiderate smokers, and they will never be friends.

Just remember, there is no difference in second hand smoke than swimming in a pissed in pool.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:31 AM

Ask Mindcore.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:29 AM

First, I am a smoker, so I put up with the ashes in the car when smoking with the top down. I do flick my ashes out the window but try not to do it when close to another vehicle. The worst part in TX is when you pass a car and they blow a wad of dip or chaw out the window and it hits your car or windshield. Makes smoking look like a great option.

Quick Reply: Techniques for Smokers Driving the S2K