S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Teflon coating, is it worth it?

Old 03-31-2001, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer said I should get the Teflon coating. ($150) Do you think this is worth getting?
Old 03-31-2001, 12:30 PM

no...

sounds like a version of the infamous Paint Sealant to me...
Old 03-31-2001, 12:36 PM
Former Moderator

Friends of mine own a company called Apple Polishing. What they do is sell dealerships for this stuff. I've had all my cars done with it and it is truely amazing. You never need to use soap, because not much sticks to the paint. It prevents the paint form fading, and it will look like new for minimum 5 years. So persoanlly I think its a good Idea.
It does involve a high speed buffer though, so make sure you trust the person doing the work

Mike
Old 03-31-2001, 12:39 PM

Yes, but he is talking about Teflon...

I recall that in order to get the benefit of Teflon, it has to be bonded to the surface at something like 700 degrees F...

Otherwise, its just another gimmick. There is a similar thread on the corvetteforum. Some guy lives on the coast and claims that he has had all his cars coated in Teflon and they never rust...

Originally posted by Mindcore
Friends of mine own a company called Apple Polishing. What they do is sell dealerships for this stuff. I've had all my cars done with it and it is truely amazing. You never need to use soap, because not much sticks to the paint. It prevents the paint form fading, and it will look like new for minimum 5 years. So persoanlly I think its a good Idea.
It does involve a high speed buffer though, so make sure you trust the person doing the work

Mike
Old 03-31-2001, 12:51 PM

I have never known the fiberglass on a Corvette to rust so maybe its standard on all of the Vettes!!!!
Old 03-31-2001, 01:28 PM

I should clarify...

he was talking about having used it on his previous cars (metal) and that they never rusted, needed waxing, etc... So, he figured that you could apply it to the Vette and never need to wax. He said something about how its 150 the first time, and 49 bucks for a re-application every 9 months... He even goes as far as to say something to the effect of "While you are waxing, I'll be driving"...

Originally posted by Speed 2000
I have never known the fiberglass on a Corvette to rust so maybe its standard on all of the Vettes!!!!
Old 03-31-2001, 03:00 PM

Hmmm...teflon coating. So what you're telling me is that for a relatively low price I can cook eggs and other stuff on my car and not have to worry about sticking?

And to think that for the past year and a half I've always used Pam spray.
Old 03-31-2001, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Platinum - In a word NO! This is another attempt to increase profit at your expense. Keep the original paint clean and polished or waxed and it will last a long time. I had an '89 red Civic for 11 years in South Florida. When I sold it, the paint was still in like-new condition (except for the dings, scratches and chips ).
Old 03-31-2001, 07:06 PM

Sorry guys but nothing out there stops paint from fading except clear coat paint. Any application afterwards is dealer hype and a waste of money. Keep the car clean, waxed and out of the sun as much as possible that is the best you can do.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:18 PM
Former Moderator

Well let me tell you what I know about it. I'm sure there are other products on the market but I will only state what I know about the APS system. (Apple Polishing Systems)
1)It is true that the teflon needs to be bonded. A high speed buffer acomplishes this.
2)It does not inhibit rust anymore the regualar car paint. I don't think I have ever seen a car rust with out a nick, or dent in its body work...So not really a big issue.
3)most teflon applications have UV protection
4)I'm in no way endorsing this stuff. All I can tell you is that I swear by it.
I have a 94 Civic Si, Black and the paint looks better now then it did before I had the process done. 7 years ago!
All these things might be solely the benifit of APS or maybe all teflon coatings. I just don't know. Working for the company who sold the dealerships I can tell you I have seen it first hand. I also could probably dig up some inforamtion on the same process when used with aircraft that significantly reduces fuel consumption due to it's lower drag factor..(no BS)

Quick Reply: Teflon coating, is it worth it?