S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

things i should be aware of ?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default things i should be aware of ?

Guys,

i've been on here for alittle bit researching around .. but now i think im ready to get an used S2K .. 01 and up .. so i've been to a few dealerships, honda, nissan and other brand dealerships .. and i came across a few .. but besides the obvious thing on buying a used car .. are there any specific things i should be looking for on the S2K? so make sure the car is kept in good condition..

any advise would be greatly appricated and thanks advance ..
Old 04-14-2007, 07:10 PM

Get a carfax. Try to find a car with complete service records since new. One owner is best. Have the car inspected by a competent mechanic you know you can trust. Look at every nook and crany in the car and if anything doesn't look right then consider that there may be other things that aren't right that you can't see. Take the time to find just the right car. It will be worth the wait.

When you find the right car, and if can swing it, buy with cash. If you don't have the cash on hand you may be able to get a friendly banker to loan you the cash long enough to use it to negotiate with the dealer. If your credit score is good enough this shouldn't cost you anything extra. Decide what you WANT to pay for the car, and the MOST you'll pay for the car, and only take enough cash to cover the most you'll pay. Offer them the cash you WANT to pay and if they don't grab it, walk away. If they don't call you in a few days go back and ask them what it will take for you to take the car home. No matter what they say, if it's more than the cash you have with you, just offer them your top price and hand them the cash. Tell them that's all you have and that you can't go any higher. If they turn you down, take the money back to the bank and find another car. There are many ways to buy a car, but when you deal with cash dealers tend to be a lot more flexable. They make less on the deal because they don't get to sell you financing, but with a used car, cash in hand is way better than birds in the bush.

Waiting to get just the right car at just the right price will make ownership even more rewarding.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:10 PM

Oh yea, get a stock car and make sure it has the right tires.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:25 PM

thanks RedMx5 ...

but are there any "s2k specific details" i should know about or look at ? like something that is a known suspect of failure or something that will give a tale tell sign if the car was beaten and stuff like that ...
Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the VIN# on the dash vs. the numbers that are on the bumpers, hood, trunk, fenders, and door sills. It will tell you whether or not the car's been wrecked bad enough to replace one.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 PM

thanks St Rage
Old 04-15-2007, 04:20 PM

I asked the similar questions a few months ago and got some good answers, here's the thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=453603&hl=

I got the car checked out, signed the papers, and have been smiling ever since. People think it's new until I tell them it has 20k miles.

When you do buy, there are also a ton of threads on here about common things like weird noises--you may be paranoid for the first few months, but things like the clutch buzz, and 1st gear clunk are well documented.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch for paint chips between body panels. If it has this it has been replaced. Maybe for just cosmetic reason or maybe it was in an accident. Watch also for damages/rips on the inside of the soft top that is not easily visible on the outside.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tsw910,Apr 14 2007, 11:25 PM
thanks RedMx5 ...

but are there any "s2k specific details" i should know about or look at ? like something that is a known suspect of failure or something that will give a tale tell sign if the car was beaten and stuff like that ...
Most S2000's are trouble free as long as they are well maintained and not abused. You probably want to check the cars service history to make sure it isn't a problem car (repeated TCT failures, repeated transmission problems, etc. would be a warning sigh). The safest route is to get someone like Billman, who has experience with a large number of S2000's of every year, to inspect the car for you.

I believe I know the cars pretty well, but I'd still have someone else inspect any car I was considering.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Hmm, check all the tire gaps and make sure they match to their other side (easiest way to see if there are any suspension problems). Look at all the areas where panels meet other parts and look for any evidence of masking. Look at all the sheetmetal panels and make sure all the paint matches (make sure you're looking at the car under the sun). Turn on the engine, see how it starts up cold, let it warm up, drive it and listen for any ticking. And of course, don't be afraid to rev it up and make sure the VTEC kicks in and the power delivery is smooth and such.

Quick Reply: things i should be aware of ?