S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

For those with the AEM CAI: Do you recommend it? Why?

Old 12-12-2001, 12:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WRS2K
[B]http://www.digicomp.cc/grandtouring/pix/aem/aem011.jpg

How's the air getting to the filter if the bumper is on?
Old 12-12-2001, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WRS2K
[B]http://www.digicomp.cc/grandtouring/pix/aem/aem011.jpg

How's the air getting to the filter if the bumper is on?
Old 12-17-2001, 09:26 AM

I have to revive this thread to alter my earlier position -- the sound of the AEM is really growing on me now. When I had initially posted, I had not fully tested the intake except in some very urban traffic. On the open highway, the sound is not only much more pleasing, but is also very easy to control.

Unless you dip the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, you will not make any major noise. The "flatulent" sound that I mentioned before only applies in bumper-to-bumper traffic and only happens if you make it happen by slamming the pedal down. All other sounds from the AEM are cool.

Also, I still stand by my position that the car does not "grab" as hard at higher RPM's as it did without the AEM. This is a very subtle change, and one that is TOTALLY OUTWEIGHED by the wonderful refinements that the AEM brings to our engine. Also, YMMV.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:28 PM

Does the AEM CAI get a significant portion of its airflow from the front air dam that exposes the radiator?

I ask because I don't want to put on a front grill with the stock airbox set up. If I get the McCune side grill pieces and cut out the passenger side fake brake duct and stick on the front grill, will the AEM CAI be getting all the airflow it needs or will the front grill still cut off some of the air supply to the CAI/engine?
Old 12-17-2001, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets none of its airflow from the large front grill opening, because the filter sits in the area behind the passenger side fake vent, which is almost completely isolated from air coming into the front grille. That's why cutting out the fake vent is recommended.

BTW, IMO, the looks of the AEM alone are worth the price of entry, let alone the sound and increase in performance. Here's a shot:

Old 12-17-2001, 09:34 PM

Rick, Honda should pay you to caravan your car around all the dealerships to show what a carnut can do to an S2000.

But are you sure that the AEMCAI gets NONE of its airflow from the front air dam? I don't know because you are one of those that put that grill on for aesthetics before the recent CAIs came out and some of you know how that flew over with me although I support Mr. McCune's business 100 percent.

Is the brake duct cut recommended by AEM or by some S2000 owner on this board? Crap's gotta get in there easier with a fake brake duct cut even with the McCune side grill protecting it.

I hope you are right, Rick. Cuz if everything's kosher, I'm going for the cut and the McCune grills cuz I love the look.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:09 AM
Former Sponsor

I can tell you that little air gets into the space from the large front grill. It is closed off with plastic panels and unless you cut a hole, not much air gets in there from the front. AEM recommends opening the space, so the McCune grill is a good idea, since it will result in the highest volume of air at speed.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by WRS2K
Rick, Honda should pay you to caravan your car around all the dealerships to show what a carnut can do to an S2000.

But are you sure that the AEMCAI gets NONE of its airflow from the front air dam?
Wait a minute! The AEM CAN get air from the front dam, if you make the second optional cut to the underbody trim as described in the AEM instructions. This second cut will open a section next to the radiator, about six inches behind the opening of the front air dam. This second cut lets air from the front air dam into the pocket occupied by the AEM. HTH.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:09 AM
Former Sponsor

It can, but I think he was asking about stock form. Without those cuts, it's getting virtually nothing from the large front opening.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
QUOTE]

Rick, which strut tower brace is that??? Looks nice!!

Quick Reply: For those with the AEM CAI: Do you recommend it? Why?