S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ticket for lack of front plate

Old 08-02-2001, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for lack of front plate

As a MD driver, im required by law to have a front license plate. However, ive been driving since Nov2000 without one. Last weekend, i parked in Georgetown in Wash.DC. When i came back to my car, i had a $50 ticket for no front plate and get this... a "please tow" sticker on my trunk. Those a-holes were going to have my car towed for an equipment violation. I was parked in a legal spot BTW. Lucky i got back before they towed!

Anyway, it doesn't seem right that another state (or district) can ticket me and collect fines for another state's law. This is blatant revenue generation.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:17 PM

Is it not illegal to not have a front plate in D.C.? The cop was probably enforcing local law, not Maryland law...
Old 08-02-2001, 07:22 PM

So if i were from PA, which does not require a front plate, i could expect to receive a ticket in DC for no plate???
Old 08-02-2001, 07:31 PM

I just recently got a ticket in DC (have DC tags though and I'm a resident) for the same thing. Same "towing requested" marked on the ticket. My brother as well about a year ago. Now I just carry my front plate tucked next to my seat and stick it in the windshield when I leave. Parking enforcement on my campus is just crazy.

A MD state trooper just gave me a ticket while driving my friend's car with no front plate. This was the day after he was pulled over and given a fix-it ticket. I told my officer that my friend was given 2 weeks to fix it and just hadn't gotten around to it since it was only the night before that he was ticketed. Therefore I shouldn't get one. No luck and still got the ticket. So I guess our states are even now. Unfair tickets cancel out right?

BTW.. I think you and I have met before briefly in Georgetown a while ago. You were with a yellow/black. We passed each other at UMCP a little later too.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:48 PM

I was being pulled over on a weekly basis when I had my Civic SI for two reasons no front plate and dark glass. This shit was never ending because the local PO has a real hard on for all the ricers in the area. (Never riced my car out for the record) Anyway, now I just leave the front plate on my stook, its just easier this way even though it looks crappy. NYS fines all motorists $100 for an all other violation ticket. Which is the answer for every cop who needs to give you a ticket because you were white on a wednesday morning . That can get costly.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jws626
[B]
BTW.. I think you and I have met before briefly in Georgetown a while ago.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:35 AM

So, if your car is registered + inspected in CA and you are traveling in ME and your car does not conform to ME requirements...

The local ME law enforcement can give you a ticket?

That would be reasonable if all states had the same vehicle requirements... which they don't.

(BTW, I was just using CA and ME as examples... I have no idea what their front plate laws are...)
Old 08-03-2001, 08:44 AM

If you live in a state that does not require a front plate, you cannot get a ticket for no front plates in a jurisdiction that requires a front plate.

Further, if you live in a state that does require a front plate and you are in another jurisdiction, you cannot get a ticket for not obeying your jurisdiction's law (the ticket writer doesn't have authority).

So, if either case happened, you can fight it and should win.

Hope that clears things up.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by itsjustme
So, if either case happened, you can fight it and should win.
It appears that some people here have never had the pleasure of fighting a DC ticket. I have. There is no justice here.

Take my simple advice. Pay it. It's WAY less of a hassle and less expensive than fighting it.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by itsjustme
[B]If you live in a state that does not require a front plate, you cannot get

Quick Reply: Ticket for lack of front plate