S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tips for Cross Country Road Trip

Old 10-03-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

When are you going? Glacier is awesome but I think Going to the sun road already be closed for the winter. If you love waterfalls make sure to do the Columbia River Gorge. The drive from Redwoods in northern Cali up to Crater is very cool winding thru the mountains.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

In a freeway trip across town, not long after I bought my S, a rear tire shredded at about 70mph. I quickly got into the emergency lane next to the center divider. There was no hope left for that tire. The front tire was moved to the rear and the spare tire put in the front wheel. I limped home at 55mph and vowed to never travel without the spare again. I have taken it out for track days, wherever I get the rare opportunity for that. It goes with me and stays inflated to proper pressure.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Much Appreciated

Many thanks for the great suggestions!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven to and from CT to FL three times. I can not express enough the importance of good earplugs and sunglasses. It will mean the difference between a great time and a horrible time. I would, also, put some painters tape on the front of the s2000 for the bugs and pebbles. Take some pics and post em. Stay safe.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Have traveled a great deal in my S. Everything from weekend get aways to 2 week long cross country trips, Death Valley to the Olympic Peninsula. Lots of great suggestions. My two cents:

I installed some NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) insulation under the seats, rear top tray, and doors. Top up things are pretty quite cruising on the freeway. Top down, I occasionally use earplugs but really only when I am on an interstate. Most two lane scenic roads do not require sound dampening.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...sults-1085903/

I keep the trunk tool tray in place. Still plenty of room. I have a Cycle Pump inflator and the "gun" plugger for flats. I store it in the spare tire space along with "emergency water" flares, gloves, and micro fiber towels.

Packing wise, my wife and I are experienced airline "non-revenue" travelers; we know how to pack the minimum. (It is one carry on or nothing even for a month long overseas trip) We just put it in a duffel for jamming in the truck. I add a JetBoil for boiling water for good coffee and a small soft cooler for drinks and food that need to be chilled.

https://www.amazon.com/CyclePump-EXPEDITION-Inflator-90-degree-Chuck/dp/B0195JXE40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507308564&sr=8-1&keywords=cycle+pump+expedition https://www.amazon.com/CyclePump-EXPEDITION-Inflator-90-degree-Chuck/dp/B0195JXE40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507308564&sr=8-1&keywords=cycle+pump+expedition

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Tubeless-Tire-Plug/dp/B006B1XNPQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1507308599&sr=1-6&keywords=gun+tire+repair https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Tubeless-Tire-Plug/dp/B006B1XNPQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1507308599&sr=1-6&keywords=gun+tire+repair

I purchased my plugger and pump from Pashnit:

Amazon Amazon

For longer trips I add my Surco trunk rack. It is great for camping gear that does not fit well in the trunk. Also good if you need to haul something bulky. As you can see, it came to be invaluable on one trip when my rear tired failed beyond repair. I was able to put the spare on it and leave the luggage and wife intact in the trunk and car. Nothing left on the side of the road. It takes < 5 minutes to install and 1 minute to remove. Has never scraped the paint or hurt the car in any way. I added the oak slats to keep objects from slipping down to the car's paint. I did this for AZDancer too.

I have a fire extinguisher behind the front driver seat (does not interfere with the seat) I also carry CCW. A few permits in key states and you can drive concealed almost anywhere. (WA and OR are a pain for civilians)

I think you would enjoy swinging though the Dakotas and Black hills, Montana and Washington. On the return head south through the Sierras, Colorado and Arizona if possible.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

The oak slats that Cosmomiller made for me are a fantastic upgrade to the Surco rack. I used that rack on a trip from Phoenix, AZ to Orange County, CA, and like Cosmo, the rack left no marks that didn't wipe off with a little Speed Shine and a microfiber towel. I put small pieces of soft rubber liner on the trunk where the rack hold down clamps attach, just to prevent an accidental paint scrape. When my rear tire shredded, I could put that wheel in the trunk. On a trip with luggage in the trunk, the rack comes in handy, as Cosmo can attest. Pray tell what happen to the camping gear when you put the wheel and tire on the rack?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I put small pieces of soft rubber liner on the trunk where the rack hold down clamps attach, just to prevent an accidental paint scrape.

Pray tell what happen to the camping gear when you put the wheel and tire on the rack?
I make sure the area that clamps is super clean. I also add a little packing tape with the edge rolled (for easy removal) for additional protection.

I did not have camping gear on that trip; it was a B&B trip up the Oregon coast to Canon Beach via HWY1. I was using the rack for two folding camping style chairs. They were able to to fit in the truck as the spare was in use.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've done a couple of long trips in the S. The longest was a 3000 mile loop from KC down I44/40 to Las Vegas, then back up through Utah/Colorado back home on I70. I made the trip in 6 days, but 2 of those were in Vegas. Must see if you're taking I40 would be Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo. Kind of cool roadside attraction. If it's not on your list, the Painted Desert/Petrified forrest in East AZ and the Grand Canyon should be on your list. With planning they could be done all in one. day.

I made it to Vegas in 2 days and home in 2 days, so it was an average of 750/day. Some tips for you: If you have an exhaust of any kind that drones, invest in noise cancelling earphones or earplugs, it's the only way I made the trip with any hearing left. I'm lowered on stiff springs, and my back and whatnot were fine for the trip, but it is fatiguing over the course of the day. Get out and take a break every 3-4 hrs, which you'll likely have to do anyway based on fuel range. Make sure your tires, brakes, wipers, suspension components are all in good condition and your maintenance is up to date. Might not hurt to get an alignment and set to factory specs to help with tire wear as well. Take an extra quart of oil just in case. Pack 1/2 the stuff you think you need. I had a trunk FULL of stuff and it was just me. Take the tools out of the rear foam holder, wrap in towel and put in spare tire as previously mentioned. Will help with what little room is left in the trunk. Realistically plan for 500 miles/day. Less if you want to get out and look at stuff.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I’ve done a very similar trip, from Sarasota to Portland, OR. Honestly I can’t imagine doing it in an S2000 (we were in a G37S which was a mile muncher) but what I will recommend is a radar detector (saved us 5 or 6 times), stops by Whole Foods and grab as many healthy snacks as you can, a pillow for your back, a blanket for driving with the roof down at night, ear plugs, beanie, and a good camera, and take your time and meet the locals
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Northern Rockies? What kind of tires do you have?

sorry if y'all already covered this

Quick Reply: Tips for Cross Country Road Trip