S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tips on Learning to rev match

Old 10-16-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on Learning to rev match

Hi guys, im learning to rev match and i need some help. Since i started it has been reflex for me to give the gas to raise the rpms, while passing through nuetral/ while putting it into the lower gear but the problem im having is i find it very hard to let the clutch out without feeling any jerk. I think what is happening is that im matching the rpm well but i am letting the clutch out too slowly so the revs are dropping and then the car slows down a little when i let out the clutch. for me it seems very hard to let the clutch out fast enough before the revs drop and im also afraid of letting the clutch out to fast because i am not perfect yet and i dont want to shock my drive train because i didnt match the rpms perfectly.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigS
Hi guys, im learning to rev match and i need some help. Since i started it has been reflex for me to give the gas to raise the rpms, while passing through nuetral/ while putting it into the lower gear but the problem im having is i find it very hard to let the clutch out without feeling any jerk. I think what is happening is that im matching the rpm well but i am letting the clutch out too slowly so the revs are dropping and then the car slows down a little when i let out the clutch. for me it seems very hard to let the clutch out fast enough before the revs drop and im also afraid of letting the clutch out to fast because i am not perfect yet and i dont want to shock my drive train because i didnt match the rpms perfectly.
Get the revs higher
Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

From the sound of it you might just be doing everything a bit too slowly? Keep in mind nobody will always rev match absolutely perfectly, even professional drivers. A good way to practice is to find a place you can rev match all the way from 6th to 2nd down through each gear without braking, just letting the engine braking slow the car down, and rev matching at the appropriate time and as smoothly as possible.

Better to error on the side of more revs than less revs as well as mentioned, but it all just comes down to practice in the end. You want to be able to be able to complete a downshift as one direct and fluid move.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

One thing to know is the term Rev MATCH is a bit of a misnomer. Its not like you are trying to rev to and hold a specific rpm, to precisely match the rpm of the next lower gear. Rather you are blipping the throttle to get the engine up around the range needed for the next lower gear.

So you blip the throttle as you are braking, and just try to be smooth with everything else. Let the clutch out quickly, but smoothly. You sort of feel as you engage the clutch, don't just let it out at a set rate. Thats part of how you achieve smooth.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
From the sound of it you might just be doing everything a bit too slowly? Keep in mind nobody will always rev match absolutely perfectly, even professional drivers. A good way to practice is to find a place you can rev match all the way from 6th to 2nd gear without braking, just letting the engine braking slow the car down, and rev matching at the appropriate time and as smoothly as possible.

Better to error on the side of more revs than less revs as well as mentioned, but it all just comes down to practice in the end. You want to be able to be able to complete a downshift as one direct and fluid move.
Just to clarify for those you might go try this, I think you mean to try rev-matching from 6th to 5th, 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd? Just don't want someone to be cruising on the highway and think 'hey I'll try that 6th to 2nd gear rev match that guy was talking about'.

Sorry, I know that seems obvious, but you never know.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:07 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes I assumed that went without saying but good idea to clarify. Rev match down through each gear. There is absolutely no reason to skip gears, ever. In any situation. If you don't like downshifting and upshifting something is wrong with you and you have ended up in the wrong car.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

When I rev match it is more of a hard blip where the car drops into the lower gear as the revs go up through and then past the desired rpm, as the revs fall to the desired rpm the clutch is coming out. Once you get a feel for this timing it will get easier. I actually match any time I downshift even at stop lights, matching a lower than "max" rpm helps hone the feel
Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Practice,practice,practice... AND

Don't think about it so much and it will come to you.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Try this... when you pull the shift lever into neutral, just lightly place it onto the gate of the next gear you wish to shift into. When you rev the engine, the stick will effortlessly drop into the next gear --- with the lightest of force. When the revs drop into the proper RPM's. That's the R's to shoot for.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along the lines of what others are saying, it sounds like you are not giving it enough gas. Don't think of it as trying to hit the RPM you need, but blip the throttle past the RPM you need, such that by the time you do shift into the lower gear it will have fallen down to the RPM you need.

I realize this may sound a bit confusing so let me try to illustrate very simply (numbers are not necessarily real-world accurate here). Say you're in 3rd at 3500 rpm and you need to go into 2nd at 4500 rpm:

- Blip the throttle so that it goes to around 5500rpm instead of 4500.

- Begin shifting.

- Revs will have fallen to 4500ish as you shift and you will have a smooth engagement.

From there it's just about timing.

Quick Reply: Tips on Learning to rev match