S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tips on Learning to rev match

Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go buy an old beater 4 speed truck.. one of those old TR10's, Triumph Heralds.. no syncro's.. something to abuse... learn to shift without a clutch... you'll know rev matching fore you get outta the driveway... no cheating...
Old 10-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Um, what?

I didn't get the impression the OP was from the UK, or wherever Triumph trucks come from (wait, Triumph makes trucks?!?!???)

In the US, there aren't really many vehicles that can be found that aren't automatics, let alone a non-syncro manual.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any old truck ( chevy ford toyota ) ta bang.. your going to tear it up, but, it's a learning tool, i had a 3 spd on the column, it was a breeze to shift without a clutch, it just ambled along..

the tr10 - hearld is a sedan.. older brother used to drag me along to swap meets, i was good for cleaning car parts and carry stuff.. he bought one, we rebuilt it...

however, yes, triumph standard made lorries ( like work trucks, in england) as well..

i drove all those in the States ages ago.. i drove all kinds of strange things in other countries..
Old 10-18-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Memorize speed to rpm in each gear.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

The UPS dude that delivers around here, has this old-school truck with a 4 speed. He's been driving that same truck for many years. If you just listen to him double-clutching going both up- and down-shifting --- you can hear the proper RPM range for each gear change. When a substitute drives the truck --> many "crunches." OUCH!

Maybe get an old UPS truck? Or a part-time delivery job?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...70&fr2=piv-web
Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Big S, how old are you & how is your hearing?

I raced up to & including Formula 1, back in the old days when we still had gear sticks & clutches. Those cars had no synchros at all, just dog engagement of the gears. Match the revs perfectly or you didn't get any gear, ever.

Don't beat yourself up too much if you are having a few problems matching revs in your S, I found it the most difficult car I have ever driven, including those Formula 1s to get with matching revs. I was getting about 80% proficient fairly quickly, but was still getting too many of those jerky clutch releases to be happy with myself. If a passenger can feel when the clutch engages, I reckon I've stuffed it up, & I am guessing this is what you are talking about.

I asked about your hearing, as I think part of my problem was getting a bit old & losing some hearing. Too many noisy racing engines probably. I found I had to drive top down, to allow me to hear the engine & exhaust sounds better, & I actually took the air filter off one day, to help me hear the amount of throttle I was giving the thing.

The fact that you have probably never driven anything that revs as high also makes it harder to judge what revs you are at & what you want.

I had to give myself a couple of days out on a quiet twisty mountain road to get the feeling before it came right for me. Driving around town I did not have enough spare concentration for practicing my gear changes.

Someone said don't try too hard, & I think that is right. Just find a good twisty road, & drive it moderately quickly, working your S moderately hard, & the feel will suddenly be there.

Oh, & don't forget to have fun.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by badboy00z
Memorize speed to rpm in each gear.
This.

Also, the higher the RPM the greater you'll need to rev up the engine to match the lower gear, ie: if you're in 4th at 3k, you'll only need a slight blip to match the speed going into 3rd, but if you're in 4th at 5k, you'll need to rev it up a little higher to match the speed going into 3rd.

All in all, just practice, practice, practice.

My dad used to race professionally years ago when cars didn't have syncho's, so he taught me everything I needed to know, but even still I had to practice it myself until I nailed it.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The S2000 is one of those car's that needs to be rev, give it a a good step to rev match not a slight tap. I had some of my friends drive the S2000 and all had stall all the time.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Try this... when you pull the shift lever into neutral, just lightly place it onto the gate of the next gear you wish to shift into. When you rev the engine, the stick will effortlessly drop into the next gear --- with the lightest of force. When the revs drop into the proper RPM's. That's the R's to shoot for.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
The UPS dude that delivers around here, has this old-school truck with a 4 speed. He's been driving that same truck for many years. If you just listen to him double-clutching going both up- and down-shifting --- you can hear the proper RPM range for each gear change. When a substitute drives the truck --> many "crunches." OUCH!

Maybe get an old UPS truck? Or a part-time delivery job?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...70&fr2=piv-web
That sounds like he just has a transmission with worn out syncros. I had to do that on my first car-an old Datsun 510. Whatever was left of the syncros had long ago been ground to dust.

Quick Reply: Tips on Learning to rev match