S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Top down pedal to floor

Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob-2
How old are you?
X2?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 AM

47 what you guys gonna start slamming my age?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
That's not a big deal to me most of my drives are short burst. I check oil quite often. If that's all I got to deal with so be it not an issue. I do want to upgrade my radiator and put a oil cooler on soon. The oil cooler I was looking at is a bit expensive. This car is weird due to the high redline its like oh Im at 5k better shift but hell I just engaged vtec wtf. When I changed my retainers I noticed the vtec big cams still had machine marks on them like new cams its like the previous owner always shifted just at or before vtec. The low profile cams looked like they should for 60K miles. Anyway, the car feels right when driven in a spirited fashion. I just get the feeling when it goes it is gonna be a big bang no warning. Haven't had the car a year yet still learning and respecting it. Most fun for the money by far. I couldn't imagine anyone driving this car conservatively.

two factors make for the S' safe, 9K redline: its short, 84mm piston stroke; and its forged aluminum pistons and carburized forged connecting rods (youtube s2000 technical video 1999). the engine is efficient and durable by design, compared to other, conventional engines. however, i don't understand why it's necessary to drive the car at RPMs higher than the recommended 4K shiftpoint, when the engine has adequate torque off-VTEC. sure i've driven my S at VTEC a lot before i got used to the thrill, and for thrills greater than that i guess i'd have to look at the smaller turbochargers which spool up quick and capable of 400-500hp (like the PTE [Precision Turbochargers and Engine] 5431 with a log manifold). with that arrangement i might not even have to open up VTEC at all (except at 9/10ths).
Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Needsmorepower!
Originally Posted by rob-2
How old are you?
X2?

is 400-500hp not enough? like out of smaller quick-spool turbochargers (like a log-manifold 5431?) which i'm told doesn't need additional fuel management or larger fuel injectors (unless you're running more than 7 pounds of boost). the usual caveats involve over-boosting and non-braided (risk of fire) and non-restricted (risk to turbo oil seals) oil lines. i'm contemplating this route, and any comment on it would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM

^Yea if I could afford a turbo I might do that. But I think its fine without turbo plenty of fun.
Not sure about 4k shift point you speak of must be oem manual. Sure at times I drive mellow depending on conditions of traffic and road or who is with me. I dont want tickets either. I'm just saying once the car is good and warm and road permits I let it rip quite often. My s is stock pretty much and if its not in vetc not much going on. As I stated would like to drop vtec lower. I honestly have too much fun driving this car I should grow up but thats not going to happen.

The turbos that are CA CARB legal and thats only one that I know of I dont like the engineering of it.
Would lean supercharger.

Stock ap1 Vtec is around 5800 BNB So that 4k shift point?? And the s has no torque to speak of so you lost me sorry.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Hope my daily driver S last.

I guess I dont care if the motor blows up I drive it where it feels right and to tell you the truth it does not feel right below 5k rpm.
Forced induction is for you my friend. Stay safe. A 600whp DD will make you shit your pants every time.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by indi00

Forced induction is for you my friend. Stay safe. A 600whp DD will make you shit your pants every time.
In time my friend let me save and play a bit longer NA. ems first want to play NA with a tune. I would perfer to retain my feces until over a toilet.

I think 400hp is max for me for a dd.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM

^ all valve retainers have been replaced with ap2 That was second thing I did was valve job and replace retainers.

BKC whats a waste of money the oil cooler?
Your radiator works fine, and your oil temperature is fine as well. Why waste money? Spend it on tires/brakes.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

47 what you guys gonna start slamming my age?
47 and still saying "bro" over the internet. that makes laugh a little.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 AM
kap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does everyone seems so bitter? The man is just trying to share his lovely experience with this lovely machine!

Also, coolant/oil cooling upgrades are probably not needed for spirited street driving, but if you plan on going to the track it's a pretty good mod imo

Quick Reply: Top down pedal to floor