S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

totalled s2k, what to expect?!

Old 10-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default totalled s2k, what to expect?!

hey guys, i just totaled the s2000. no, it wasnt snap oversteer, it was a bad intersection.

i did body work before.. i know its totaled.

its an 01 with 117xxx
im in PA

do you know how much i can expect to get, full coverage? and, is it worth it to buy back and part out? just need some guidance...
thanks,

matt
Old 10-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

check on eBay and fs classifieds to see what the parts go for.

Duno what parts are still good on yours.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

It really depends on the actual damage and the price they're willing to let it go for. Too many variables for just a yes or no .

Even if it's worth it, you need to determine if you have the time to break parts down, photograph them, list them online, package and ship everything etc. Very time consuming .

Last edited by silenc3x; 10-11-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Its like buying a car on auction. Decide in advance how much you're willing to pay for it (in this case based on parts worth), and don't buy it if they insist on a higher price...
Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Someone ran a red light?

Glad you are okay.

Any pictures?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If they total it, know that you don't have to accept their initial evaluation. Don't fight the claims inspector. He doesn't have much authority to change the offer beyond a few hundred. You just refusing the first offer should get your a decent bump on the second offer. Politely decline stating that you think your car is worth a lot more based on market research (then do your research and document similar cars in writing). The offer should include tax as well so don't forget that the money that are offering you is all in...

Most people get too excited by the prospect of a cash offer in a few days. Your rate hike is not depending on the amount of cash they give you. They will hold the line after a few negotiations. Who your insurance company is also important. Make sure if you have to share your data, you go my sold prices and not advertised prices.

Unless you are certain there was no frame damage, I would advise against buying your own car back. There are still good cars on the market if you are willing to look out of your own state. Also with winter on the horizon, prices should be in your favor.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

This happened to me. I did my own assessment of what my car was worth as a parts car for parting out and also keeping as extra parts for my replacement S2k and then compared that to the buy back price if worth it and in my case it was hands down, but also because I had a place to store the car indefinitely and that's also a consideration. They gave me enough to buy another s2k in actual better shape then what I had with less miles on it( got lucky) and bought back my old car for about 1/3rd the price of the sum total of its parts so I ended up ahead in many ways. Not every situation will work out the same, some deals better then others, just depends on a few things, like what s2k's in the country are used as comparables by the ins to assess your old cars value to cut your check for a replacement, and then what they feel they could get for your old one if they were to sell it for parts. They will offer you a cash price total or a reduced price if you decide to keep your old car for parts. A lot of times the parts car is undervalued a bit it seems, but you know the condition of your car better then anyone, other then the damage that was done to decide on this. Someone will buy your drivetrain with the current mileage, its not crazy high. Then decides what else is left on car you can sell.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to hear - glad you're OK though.
If it were me - I wouldn't want to buy back a totaled car... not to fix up and drive, and not to part out. I just don't have time for that and would rather lick my wounds and move on to something else - either another S2k or something else all together.
Good luck which ever direction you go in.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, after refusing the first offer of 12,900, they came back with a second offer of 14,100. i did take that offer, so thanks for everyones help with what to do and how to get a bit more money!!!

also, i was only going to buy the car back for the extra engine, trans, suspension Etc.

the search begins.

located in pittsburgh pa, btw!