S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tracking an S2000 in the Southeast.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking an S2000 in the Southeast.

Hello everyone.

I'm new here, current owner of a 2003 Corvette targa six speed. I've always wanted an S2000 and am currently talking to an owner of an AP2 about a trade. We test drove each other's cars yesterday and both came away satisfied, as both my car and his are very well taken care of and in great, mostly stock condition.

I have one hesitation: I like to track. Obviously there are implications with convertibles and the broomstick rule. I am 6'2" and there's no way I will pass, with or without a helmet, in stock form. Even with seat modifications/roll bar I'm skeptical. The thing is, this is my only car (I have a company provided truck for work), so I would like to keep it close to stock, making it decent on the street as well as track.

So my question is this: are there any tracks/organizations within a few hours drive of Charlotte, NC where one can go participate in HPDE without passing the broomstick test? I've been reading up on this but it's hard to find any real information.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 AM

Here's my current car, if anyone is interested.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:18 PM

Well, no responses here or Honda-Tech... I think this is a touchy subject. I've done a lot of research on this and the consensus seems that it "isn't allowed" but is rarely checked for. That said, many instructors commented on forums that they won't ride in 'verts.

I'm pretty torn on this one, I really want the S2000 but also want to track. Good problems to have I guess, but for once I wish I was short.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Sorry that you haven't received any answers here. You might check in over on the Racing and Competition subforum. I don't track my S but I have inquired locally about autocross and HPDE type events. If I recall correctly, some hosting sponsors/organizations were okay with the S2000 as it came equipped from the factory while others weren't. Hopefully you'll have better luck obtaining answers from more knowledgeable members over in the other subforum. Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Sorry that you haven't received any answers here. You might check in over on the Racing and Competition subforum. I don't track my S but I have inquired locally about autocross and HPDE type events. If I recall correctly, some hosting sponsors/organizations were okay with the S2000 as it came equipped from the factory while others weren't. Hopefully you'll have better luck obtaining answers from more knowledgeable members over in the other subforum. Good luck with your decision!
Hey, thanks for the reply! I know it's a question many won't have an answer for. I'll try the racing forum as well.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fellow S2000 owner here down in Fort Mill SC just south of Charlotte. I have only done the SCCA Track Night in America with the S and the good news is that a rollbar is not needed for the S2000 to run those events. They run Charlotte Motorspeedway including the roval and also Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw. I’m pretty sure other organizations allow the S including JZilla and Tar Heel which run other events at those tracks plus VIR, Roebling, etc but you need to check beforehand.

It’s a great car and I don’t regret my purchase one bit. The car is a great HPDE car / mountain run car but I do realize that I’m never driving that ten tenths at the track because I know things do happen on track. If you’re in it to be competitive then I suggest a cheap S that you can really fully prep with rollbar, etc for competition wheel to wheel or time trials.
The following users liked this post:
D Griff (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

6.2 in an S2000! How long was your test drive?
I had some work done in FL a couple months ago at a shop and the owner John (LHT Performance) I think is about your height. He works on a LOT of S2000's and when I asked him why he doesn't own one (he loves them) he said he in fact has owned several but just can't make it work due to his height and being cramped in the car. He drives a vette now instead. You may want to spend a bit more time in one to be sure you are comfortable especially given this will be your only car.
Sorry not answering your original question...
Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

The S2000 has stock roll hoops.

Most HPDE groups in the midwest are fine with the factory roll protection.

Or...buy a roll bar for $900.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, this seems like a solid, informative forum so far, lurking in other threads too.

Originally Posted by GTflyer0116
Fellow S2000 owner here down in Fort Mill SC just south of Charlotte. I have only done the SCCA Track Night in America with the S and the good news is that a rollbar is not needed for the S2000 to run those events. They run Charlotte Motorspeedway including the roval and also Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw. I’m pretty sure other organizations allow the S including JZilla and Tar Heel which run other events at those tracks plus VIR, Roebling, etc but you need to check beforehand.

It’s a great car and I don’t regret my purchase one bit. The car is a great HPDE car / mountain run car but I do realize that I’m never driving that ten tenths at the track because I know things do happen on track. If you’re in it to be competitive then I suggest a cheap S that you can really fully prep with rollbar, etc for competition wheel to wheel or time trials.
That is great to hear. I don't really have any interest in wheel to wheel racing or competition at this point, just improving/having fun on the track and Tail of the Dragon trips and such. Maybe later on I will do more competitive events once I'm a better driver, but I'd want to run a somewhat dedicated car for that, and would likely go back to a C5/C6, I think they're probably a better all out track car, especially since they're a dime a dozen. S2000s are more rare and we'll never see anything like them built/sold again IMO.

Originally Posted by MrFunk
6.2 in an S2000! How long was your test drive?
I had some work done in FL a couple months ago at a shop and the owner John (LHT Performance) I think is about your height. He works on a LOT of S2000's and when I asked him why he doesn't own one (he loves them) he said he in fact has owned several but just can't make it work due to his height and being cramped in the car. He drives a vette now instead. You may want to spend a bit more time in one to be sure you are comfortable especially given this will be your only car.
Sorry not answering your original question...
I've driven two... it's certainly a snug fit (I commented "fits like a condom" ) but I just really enjoy small cars. I DDed an NA Miata so I'm pretty aware of what I'm getting in to. I figure if it doesn't work for me, I'll just sell it in a year and get into another Corvette or something else, the values will hold on these methinks. I just want to experience what's always been a dream car, since I'm never going to be able to afford an NSX, the prices on those just keep climbing!

Originally Posted by B serious
The S2000 has stock roll hoops.

Most HPDE groups in the midwest are fine with the factory roll protection.

Or...buy a roll bar for $900.
Yep, it seems that the stock S2000 is fine at most events, it's just a matter of if I can get through tech with my helmet popping out above as I'm a giant.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM

Well, after all of the research, the S2000 owner decided not to make the trade. No hard feelings, I was very open about my car and told/showed him a whine from my differential. I think it's likely a non-issue, just an annoyance, but I can certainly understand how it turned him off. We still may grab a beer or something sometime as he lives in my subdivision and is a fellow car guy.

After discovering that I can take it to some track events though, I'm thinking I will likely pursue an S2000 anyway, as it's a dream car and it's probably now or never for getting a clean, stock example for a price that isn't insane. More research time!

The silver lining is, I'd really prefer a color to silver... Yellow, red, or blue in that order. HOpefully I can get a chance to drive an AP1 and see if that's more my speed. I think it might be neat since it's kind of an opposite experience from my Corvette.

Quick Reply: Tracking an S2000 in the Southeast.