S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Trading my car for an S2k....out of State. Help?

Old 11-29-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chasewd,
Maybe you could post a request in the NJ regional forum to see if an S2KI member could look at the car for you before you make the trip. As you know, even if there are a lot of pictures, conversations, etc. before hand, the potential for a sketchy deal is still there. Do you know the S2K's number of owners, VIN #s match on all body panels [10 total VIN stickers], maintenance and accident history, top/interior/exterior condition? If your Civic is worth in the $10k range, the deal would seem to favor you if all checks out with the S2K.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by chasewd
Originally Posted by NNY S2k' timestamp='1448808842' post='23814917
[quote name='chasewd' timestamp='1448568983' post='23813367']
I'm planning on trading my car with a guy who has an S2000 in New Jersey. I'd be driving all the way from North Carolina in my car, trading, and driving back in the S2000.
Have him drive the S to you and he can go back to NJ with the Civic.
Levi
Unfortunately I think he's only willing to trade if I come to him. I don't mind making the drive but I want to avoid having to rent one of those u-haul car towing things or getting a friend with a truck and trailer to help me get the car back to NC.

Ideally I'd drive up in the morning, check out be car, drive it, have a pre-purchase inspection and then sign the stuff over and drive straight home. I'd probably bring a friend anyway just because 16 hours of driving + dealing with paperwork it would be nice to have someone help me drive back. Commuting from NC to NJ isn't the issue. I'm more worried about underlying issues that I or the pre purchase inspection guy might not catch and I don't want to feel pressured into making a deal because I'm 8 hours from home.

I'll call the NC and NJ DMV and see if it's possible to get a temporary tag for driving it back.
[/quote]

Sounds pretty much like what i did when i got my S2K -
only difference was that i was not trading, but i flew in (to the Car's location - Ohio) and drove it back (9 hours) to North Virginia

On my way back i went through Ohio, PA, West Virginia, and Maryland before i reach Virginia, throughout all that time i had my temp trip permit with me but the car had no plates at all.
only cop that checked me was actually right next to where i live, and the temp permit did the job.

looks like NC does not have that, you can find more info here:
http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/for...ad.php?t=83327

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Chasewd,
Maybe you could post a request in the NJ regional forum to see if an S2KI member could look at the car for you before you make the trip. As you know, even if there are a lot of pictures, conversations, etc. before hand, the potential for a sketchy deal is still there. Do you know the S2K's number of owners, VIN #s match on all body panels [10 total VIN stickers], maintenance and accident history, top/interior/exterior condition? If your Civic is worth in the $10k range, the deal would seem to favor you if all checks out with the S2K.
yea i live in jersey and id be happy to help OP out if the place is nearby
Old 12-04-2015, 04:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went through something similar last May when I bought my S2k near Washington DC, so I'll try to explain.

MD used to issue temp tags in order to transfer cars, this is not the case anymore. When I contacted them, they said you need to have the title in hand in order to get temporary tags. As you can imagine, this makes no sense because no seller is going to give you the title without you buying the car first. This would most likely force you to make two trips, one to "buy" the title and get the tags, and one to pick up the car. An alternative is trying to ask the seller to leave his tags on and have you mail them back when you return home. I attempted to even draft up something in the bill of sale/contract to state that the owner would not be responsible if an accident occurred on the trip home. Despite this, most sellers will not leave their tags on the car.

You basically have two options (both technically illegal).

First: Drive the car home with no tags but all of the required documentation (title, insurance, bill of sale). Most likely you will be pulled over if a cop sees this, however, you can show him the paperwork and try to explain the situation. While majority of the cops will be lenient and let you go, there is no guarantee for this.

Second: Put a different set of tags on the car and hope the cop doesn't run your plates. While this is more (I believe) illegal, at least it doesn't raise an immediate red flag like no tags do. (Obviously don't drive like an ass and draw attention to yourself).

Fortunately, I had a friend with an S2k, so we used his tags (he even drove the car back with me as a passenger). At least if the cop ran the tags, the car would come up as an s2000, just a different color.

The DMV is utterly worthless and will not try to cooperate with you so don't even bother.

PS: Don't forget to let your insurance company know before picking up the car.

Best of luck!
Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 AM

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,020 Posts

State laws differ. Wildly sometimes. You need to know the laws North Carolina. New Jersey doesn't count due to Federal law which says "if it's legal in your state it's legal in all states." Some states need annual inspections. Pretty sure PA requires them but you're legal in PA without one. Etc.

In Ohio we own our plates. If I trade a car the plates get moved then and there. Works this way at a dealer or via a private sale. I have (probably) 30 days to get the paperwork updated.

Federal law also precludes paying sales tax on a vehicle purchased out of your home state. You'll pay tax when you register the car back home.

Me? I'd put the plates of your existing car on the new car and drive home reasonably. Have all the ownership paperwork with you.

-- Chuck
Old 12-04-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Chuck in that I'd just put your old plates on the car and drive it home.

But I don't agree that federal law precludes you paying sales tax in the state where the purchase occurs if that state's law requires it. Federal law doesn't interfere with an individual states's sales tax rules for sales that occur within the state's borders which is the case here.

I live in Ohio and bought my first S2000 in MA--i had to pay the 6% MA sales tax there (MA law requires it) and then Ohio gave me credit for the 6% MA tax off the 7.5% Ohio tax when I got it home so I only paid the total of what I would have paid in Ohio. Ohio law specifically gives this credit if you buy a car in another state that requires you to pay sales tax on a car being taken out of state.

State laws vary on this--thats why a call to both the NJ and NC DMV explaining what you want to do is your best bet.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 326 Likes on 276 Posts

In NY tax is only paid on the difference of the purchased car minus the trade in....so if you're just trading cars there may not be any tax due.
Levi
Old 12-04-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
In NY tax is only paid on the difference of the purchased car minus the trade in....so if you're just trading cars there may not be any tax due.
Levi

Good point though it varies by state--for example, in Ohio, you only get credit on the tax for the trade in on a new car--not on a used one. Guess they're trying to incent folks to buy new....

But NJ or NC may duplicate NY laws which would save you some serious bucks---maybe $5-600!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Jetboater is correct. As our future President always says "I mis-remembered."

-- Chuck
Old 12-04-2015, 03:55 PM

Not a problem!!!