S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Transmission acting funky...

Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission acting funky...

So lately my transmission has been acting weird. Sometimes I don't feel like the motor is getting the amount of torque it should be. I thought maybe it could be the clutch, but I'm not too knowledgeable on transmissions. On on trips longer than 15 miles or after aggressive driving, it's been getting pretty warm. The bottom of the shift knob, the sides of the center console, and the bottom of the cupholder/console area are very hot to the touch. Much warmer than normal. I have no idea what's going on. Anyone ever experience this? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM

I've noticed somewhat similar behavior with my transmission. I've noticed an occasional loss of power (although I doubt non-s2000 drivers would notice) and my shifter does get warm from time to time. I haven't felt the bottom of the cup holder or sides of the center console to see if the heat is extending into those areas.

Something else that has been occurring with regularity is my transmission will "pop" out of gear. This typically happens when shifting into first or second gear during regular "commuter" driving. Does this happen to you?

I don't really know what causes any of this but I thought I'd share my experience and let you know that you aren't alone.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Yes. Mine is also doing those same exact things. Popping out of first or second has happened to me before a couple times, but it's not common. I just hope my transmission isn't going. I picked it up in February with 26,000 on the clock and everything was working great. Glad I'm not alone though.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:31 PM

Anyone else?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any change in power is going to be directly related to your engine. Not your trans. The transmission is full of gears. The output is only as great as the input.

Get your clutch checked or just realize that the S2k isnt that fast and you might be getting used to the power, or becoming further acquainted with the wonderful world of heatsoak.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 AM

many S2k owner say its normal, and so is the 2nd gear grind
Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2001 with babied 50k miles does the same thing. It feels like the clutch is slipping when shifting hard. I learnt not to do and give it time to grab. 2nd gear grind as well.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 AM

I was just curious. I thought maybe a transmission fluid change would help with the notchiness and overheating, but it didn't. I used Redline MT-90. I don't think it's me getting "used to the car". I figure something is going on. I guess I'll get the clutch checked out.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off there is a TSB for the transmission popping out of gear (2nd) on the 2004. Mine does it on a rare ocassion in 1st, but not 2nd. I suspect that the synchro's are starting to wear. I will be changing the fluid again soon to see if that helps. When the popping out of gear becomes repeatable (ie. the dealer can see it happen), I'll have the TSB done under my extended warranty (100K miles).

There are lots of bad things that happen to our cars during the summertime. It's hot out! Hot and humid air will decrease power in the engine and heat soak along with the AC on will make the engine run like a real dog, especially while starting from a stop. Don't feel like you can win a drag race on a hot humid day!

The clutch delay valve could be acting a little differently as the temperature of the fluid gets higher too, but I can't confirm this.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM

I know heatsoak is probably a big player here, since it's been disgustingly hot lately here in NC. I was talking to another S owner here and he said he thinks his synchros are wearing out too. But thanks for the advice guys!

Quick Reply: Transmission acting funky...