S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tried to launch...nice smell...fear...conflict

Old 03-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tried to launch...nice smell...fear...conflict

I know the launching topic has been beat to death, but I would like to get specific feedback on my own stupidity. Two questions:

1. I'm a bit conflicted because the right half of my brain says there's never really a need to launch this car so just dont do it, while the left half says one day you'll look back and say I owned a S2000 for 10 years and never once launched it, wow I'm a loser.

So several months back the left half got the better of me and I tried to do it just like Wisconsin described (and I watched his video). This is what I did: depressed clutch, applied gas to 6K and held it there, tried to let off the clutch as quickly as possible, gave it more gas. And the result was a bog and a lot of anxiety and a wonderful smell .

So what did I do wrong? My suspicions are I did not let off the clutch quickly enough (should I sidestep)? Or I did not modulate the gas correctly before, after, or during the clutch dump? Also, the road had a very slight incline. Now the resolve of my right brain has been bolstered by fear of blowing up my clutch or diff. What is the risk of trying and failing to launch the car? Should it be easy enough to do after a few times? Is launching really that sensitive to exactly how the clutch and gas are modulated? Am I just a tool? Maybe the best thing to do is have someone show me when I meet up with the MidA group later this month.

2. Several knowledgeable members frequently say never to 'launch' at low RPMs like at 3K. So what is the best technique for getting a quick start WITHOUT actually launching with a clutch dump? How would you start an autox if you didn't want wheel-spin?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:56 PM

I never launched my S, but it sounds like you didn't give it enough gas. Also, a slight incline should help make the launch a bit easier.

[QUOTE=s2k-DC,Mar 3 2006, 05:03 PM]So what is the best technique for getting a quick start WITHOUT actually launching with a clutch dump?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:11 PM

Mike, You may be right about not enough gas. I know I was holding at 6K before I dumped the clutch, but after I dumped it, the engine wants to slow down, and I'm not sure I kept the gas on strong enough (everything starts happening really fast after you dump the clutch, especially when you're anxious). Should you mash the gas to the floor after dumping the clutch, or just try to maintain it at 6K (because that seems difficult)?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:24 PM

delay valve clutch isnt very conductive to launching. hell, i can "feel" it and am annoyed by it driving normally
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 PM

Sounds to me that you not "Side Stepping" the clutch pedal was the issue. You may think you are releasing it fast but it's not fast enough. In my car the clutch releases at the very top of the pedal travel so if I don't "Side Step" it the same thing would happen. I can see how It can be hard for some folks to comprehend the need to dump the clutch at such a high RPM because in most cars this same tactic would yield you nothing more then a pile of transmission and diff parts to clean up. In my case, I have done this sort of craziness in every car I have owned since the day I got my license 16 years ago so it feels right at home for me.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:01 PM

Hmm, I don't get what's so hard about dropping the clutch. I don't "side step", I just pop my foot off quickly. Never burnt the clutch, always instant engagement. Maybe I'm just more skilled or something? (j/k)

Something else that might be a factor, and this is only what I've read on here, is that some '03s actually had the clutch delay valve installed on them. True or not, I don't know, but maybe something to look into as well.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get off the clutch faster, side step, "pop" your foot off, whatever gets the job done. Personally I just pull my foot back quickly (very, very quickly) and bam, off you go. Try to stay on the throttle as much as possible without inducing a full on burnout!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 PM

The smell was the clutch burning. Diff won't make any smells unless you really do some damage like blow it up and burn the diff fluid on something hot.

How to launch:
Turn on the car.
Take off the e-brake [if applicable].
Make sure your wheels are pointed straight and there's no objects in front of you within 100 yards.
Push down the clutch and hold it until told otherwise.
Move the shifter into 1st gear.
Rev the engine to X rpm, say 6000 RPM.
Keeping the gas constant, quickly remove your foot from the clutch. It should take no more than 1/4-1/2 a second.
Keep the gas constant and proceed to floor the car once you feel that you are regaining traction again, usually around 20-25mph depending on your amount of wheelspin.
Proceed to redline then shift to 2nd gear.

That'll get you started.

*IF* you hesitate, or 'feather' your clutch, upon letting your foot off the clutch, it produces a more controllable launch with *signicant* wear and tear on your clutch unit as well as your differential and transmission.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:59 AM

new to this "clutch delay", but do all Manual cars have it or just the S or RWD cars?
Old 03-04-2006, 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=s2k-DC,Mar 3 2006, 05:03 PM]I know the launching topic has been beat to death, but I would like to get specific feedback on my own stupidity.

Quick Reply: Tried to launch...nice smell...fear...conflict