S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Are two s2ks better than one s2k? :)

Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Are two s2ks better than one s2k? :)

I just purchased a second s2k. I've been considering doing this for about a year now. I've had my ear to the rail looking for the right car for me. I've been watching for the right low mileage Silverstone 02/03 ap1. (I'm an ap1 guy).

Then this popped up on the radar. The car is a 2003 silverstone ap1 with appox. 17K miles. It is bone stock and unmolested in any way. It came with an OEM hardtop and stand, and a Honda storage cover for the car and the top. It is a one owner car. All vins are in place. The owner is a 70 something car enthusiast who purchased it new at a local dealer in 2003. The owner is 100% fully forthcoming about every aspect of the car's history and he is a really nice guy. He is downsizing for retirement. It has been meticulously cared for. It is in impeccable condition, inside and out. The car has never seen a drop of rain. He drove it conservatively. It is located about 3 1/2 hours away from my home in northern New England. The price was fair. (Thanks to forum member Chuck for helping me sort out a fair price range). I couldn't pass it up.

I'm 66. I already own a beautiful low mileage 02 ap1. I find that i am putting a lot more miles on this car than I thought I would. I cannot seem to keep my hands off it. My plan is to put this 03 on moth balls after a good detailing, and drive my 02 until I retire in about 5 years hopefully. Then, I will sell my 02, and ride this 03 into the sunset.

I'd post some pics, but it is under cover in a small storage space until spring. No pics worth posting. Use your imagination.

Last edited by rpg51; 01-17-2018 at 04:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rpg51:
alSpeed2k (01-20-2018), freq (01-17-2018), Grip Hrd (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:08 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

If it was me, I wouldn't buy a second S, and especially not to mothball it for years. Enjoy the S you have, or trade it in on this new one, and then drive it and enjoy it. Spend the money on some other cool toy, like a Jeep.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I like the Jeep idea. I have a Suzuki Sidekick modified for offroading and I swear it makes me as happy as my S2000. So much in fact I have sometimes contemplated the opposite. Selling the S2000 and buying a Jeep. If you live anywhere where there are dirt roads, trails and snow, the Jeep would be great.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

+1, I feel like each toy in the garage should bring something unique to the table.

Cars don't like to sit for extended periods of time in storage.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:59 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Life takes twists and turns. I know some think this is a dumb idea. To each his own. I've always been a bit of a contrarian. But, I can sell one of them any time and I'm confident I won't lose much, if any, $. Plus, there is a nice full sized pick up in my garage as well that meets all my 4X4 needs and gets me and my gear on canoe trips in the north from time to time. I live in Jeep heaven. I've been through the jeep phase in my youth. Been there, done that. No interest now. The S satisfies all desires for fun on wheels with motors. One of the two Honda's will go at some point for sure - who knows, maybe sooner rather than later. Max will be 5 years. When you are 66, five years goes by in about the same amount of perceived time as 2 years does when you are under 40. Its kinda scary actually.

As far as non-use and long storage taking a toll - I'm not worried about it. Sure, if you pull a car out of a barn after 20 years that was stuck in there with no preparation you will have some work to do. But, even then, the work will reveal a gem. In this case, I honestly don't expect any troubles of that sort. First, it will be put to bed with care and well protected. Second, its not that long. Third, I will take it for a drive a couple of times a year. New tires and fluids and it will be back to it original glory. When your looking at a short horizon for your remaining driving life, your perspective changes. This will be my last sports car if things go as planned. This is the car I want to ride into the sunset. If I start using it now, I'll be driving a high mileage S right when what I want is a low mileage car to drive. I'm pretty certain that it would be very hard for me to find the equivalent of this car (which is exactly what I want in every way) in five or six years. Maybe. But at a minimum it would be a long search and consume a lot of time, and I don't have a lot of time. This way I'll sell my current S with around 75K or so miles and it will bring decent money and I'll step right into a virtually new S. Whatever, that is what I want to do.

Sound like I'm rationalizing much? My wife is threatening to apply for an involuntary mental health examination.

Last edited by rpg51; 01-17-2018 at 06:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
freq (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Here's how I feel about this:
1. I'd feel like I was cheating on my current S2000 if I bought another one with plans to wear out one and move on to the next. Cars to me have feelings and emotion and I'd just not feel right about it. LOL. Especially given I doubt your current car will be anywhere near worn out in 5 years.
2. You already own a low mile S2000. In 5 years it may be a mid-mile S2000 and probably nowhere near being ready to be swapped out for another. You sound like someone who takes care of his/her stuff, I am willing to bet that your current car will be in great shape in 5 years...
3. Cars like to be driven. You may likely have more issues with the new one in 5 years after it's sat vs your current one that you will be running and maintaining for 5 years.
4. The only positive perhaps is that the new one could be an investment for you and you can sell it in 5 years or give it to a grandson or something? Still seems like such a shame to let a HONDA sit like that.
5. I'm all about diversity. I'd have no interest in having multiple of the exact vehicle. I'd have gotten something entirely different to enjoy. Maybe a bike or another sports car? That way you'd be sharing the miles among more vehicles and thus keep the miles down on the current S2000 while enjoying a different driving experience.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

GULP! That IS scary about the perceived time passing at 66 vs 40. I'm 42 and time has accelerated significantly since my 20's. 5 years in retrospect feels like 1 or 2 back then.

As for the truck you already have, totally makes sense for not wanting a Jeep in addition. Just curious as to the mileage on your current S2000 and how many you add per year?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Meh. Let the near retired guy do what he wants.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

When you are 66, five years goes by in about the same amount of perceived time as 2 years does when you are under 40. Its kinda scary actually.
A friend likened it to getting to the end of a roll of toilet paper. Once you get close to the end, the roll goes rather quickly.

Congrats on the second S2000. Let me know when either of them goes up for sale.

There are others on this board who own multiple S2000 and even multiple CRs.........
Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Meh. Let the near retired guy do what he wants.
I agree. Better to preserve more s2000 than let it get sold to someone who doesn't take care of the car.

Quick Reply: Are two s2ks better than one s2k? :)