S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ultimate rock chip paint protection

Old 04-29-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ultimate rock chip paint protection

What would be the ultimate in rock chip protection for a newly finished, clay barred and waxed paint job? Would you recommend a ceramic coating? How about a 3M or other clear bra over the entire hood and front end? Would you consider both?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:26 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Ceramic coating will not protect against stone chips- you will be further ahead to do a full frontal PPF from 3M or Expel or whoever you like best. With practice, the film is not impossible to install yourself- I've done a few, but I'm glad its not my day job.

You can ceramic coat after the PPF.

Interestingly, my wife's Mazda has a section in the owner's manual with a scale showing the speed vs. distance you need to be behind the car ahead to reduce stone chip risk.

darcy
99MCoupe (07-17-2020)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I -hate- installing protector screens on smartphones and I picture the 3M, etc, being just like that... but worse. The idea of installing that is the stuff of nightmares. That said, I am considering having my paint redone then having some kind of protection installed (by someone who is not me)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the ceramic coating is so durable, if your car needs body work and paint, what do you have to do to ensure a successful repair? IE: how do you remove the ceramic coating completely?

Last edited by 99MCoupe; 04-29-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
I -hate- installing protector screens on smartphones and I picture the 3M, etc, being just like that... but worse. The idea of installing that is the stuff of nightmares. That said, I am considering having my paint redone then having some kind of protection installed (by someone who is not me)
you need to be uber patient with the install- paying someone to do it right is understood. The PPF will take the high speed hit of a sharp stone, especially on the leading edge of the metal body panels. Ceramic is a very nice product, but for my $1800, I'd sooner have PPF.

darcy
Old 04-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 99MCoupe
If the ceramic coating is so durable, if your car needs body work and paint, what do you have to do to ensure a successful repair? IE: how do you remove the ceramic coating completely?
If nothing else you could take it down with compound/polish, just like removing clear coat. (In fact, my understanding is that one of the benefits of coating is that you can remove scratches by doing just that—polishing down the coating rather than the clear coat.)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:11 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you for the replies. I did learn something, and I'm grateful for that. I definitely want the protection that a PPF will provide and I like the high gloss effect with the ceramic coating. The video and the posts following have been helpful to learn which one is applied first.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:42 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Interestingly, my wife's Mazda has a section in the owner's manual with a scale showing the speed vs. distance you need to be behind the car ahead to reduce stone chip risk.
I found this on an on-line Mazda 6 owners manual:
How to avoid paint chipping Keeping a safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead reduces the chances of having your paint chipped by flying gravel.

NOTE
•The paint chipping zone varies with the speed of the vehicle. For example, when traveling at 90 km/h (56 mph), the paint chipping zone is 50 m (164 ft).
•In low temperatures a vehicle's finish hardens. This increases the chance of paint chipping.
50 meters is over half a football field! Thats a dozen S2000 car lengths. I need to leave a lot more room in front on group drives.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 04-30-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm a big fan of Xpel ultimate. I bought my NSX, grew weary of counting the new chips that I seemingly found after every drive, and had Xpel ultimate applied on everything forward of the doors (except the windshield!), the rocker panels, and the mirrors. When I subsequently bought the S2000 I had it done immediately. I have only 2 regrets: that I didn't have it done immediately upon taking delivery of the NSX, and that my budget didn't permit doing the entire exterior of both cars. If you're concerned about paint chips, get the Xpel. It's not cheap but money very well spent.
99MCoupe (05-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Ultimate rock chip paint protection