S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Unusual Soft Top Tear

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual Soft Top Tear

Okay, so I know about the usual tear on the passenger side where the bar rubs, and I have patched that. Now on to the unusual tear. I haven't seen anyone with this tear, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Anyway, this tear is right over the passenger door and I have patched it, sealed it with rubber cement, vinyl sealant, and other products, but they have all stretched out and allowed the tear to continually grow. It has gotten to the point where I am driving around more with the windows down than the top down just because I don't want the tear to grow. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to repair this or slow down this tear? The tear is located where the soft top folds and has no contact with any of the bars or anything. I am confused as to why it is tearing right there. If any of you have the same problem let me know. Thanks!

PS I know the pictures are crappy, and the patch work/sealing job looks terrible, but I've given up on making it look good. I just want to save the top. I'll try and get a pic or two of the soft top down tomorrow so that you all can see the tear better.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM

have the same one, S2000 soft tops suck
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM

You desperately need modifry straps
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Si Isnt Enough
You desperately need modifry straps
Yeah, I know. Surprisingly my top sits really low for having stretched, shredded straps.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

i have that tear. i'm pretty sure it's cause you need to get new elastic straps. my are worn out too, and i just push the bar back as it folds since the elastic can't pull it back anymore. you'll notice the soft top will fold better when you do this/replace straps.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Okay, I didn't know that they would help the top fold better. I only thought they helped the top sit lower. Do you know if Modifry offers a discounted price for s2ki members?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
Okay, I didn't know that they would help the top fold better. I only thought they helped the top sit lower. Do you know if Modifry offers a discounted price for s2ki members?
thats kinda what i mean by folding better. cause if that bar isn't being pulled back, it just sticks out and causes different wear spots like the ones you and i have. ever since i started pushing the bar back while it folds, i've never had any more problems with that tear. you should try it the next you put the top down, you'll see why it folds down better.

and i haven't gotten around to getting any modifry products yet cause i've been rocking a hardtop earlier
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 AM

the modifry strap will not stop this tear. I put the modifry straps on when I first got my car 3 years. my first tear started in the usual place about 6-8 months after I got my car. I now have about 6- 10 spots that I have patched. I have worn areas in the usual spots, where the bars end there are holes.... and I have tears starting between where the bars are. I have been patching the top for over 2 years now. I use player piano bellows material. It is almost an exact match for the top. I use black silicone and patch them from the inside... eventually these patches start to peel and fail... I then just redo the patch with a bigger piece. looks like hell on the inside but I drive with the top down as much as I can. As soon as we get hot weather daily I will try to use a vinyl repair kit on the exterior to make them look better.

basically get used to repairing and patching your top til replacement. when you do replace you should file down any rough spots on the bars. I also wrapped some flexible cloth tape to the bars in the worst spots
Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
They are only around $20.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM

+1 for the new modifry straps... I mentioned this in another post, but I use a tube of sealant that is made for repairing neoprene waders (usually can be purchased at outdoor products stores), and the stuff is extremely strong - I glued two pieces of convertible top fabric together and cannot rip them apart. You might give this a try, using a piece of top fabric much like in your picture.

Similar to this stuff:

Aqua seal

P.S. The patches in this kit will not work for patching soft tops. Need to find convertible top fabric, only the glue is useful here.

Quick Reply: Unusual Soft Top Tear