S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Update to the update on the European Service "recall" (Oil Bolts)

Old 09-10-2002, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]Honda is in no position to fool around on this stuff.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedHead
[B]Which do you think is worse for the car:

driving in the canyons in 2nd and 3rd with rpm between 6500 - 8500 for hours, or
crusing at 120mph in 6th gear for hours?

Old 09-11-2002, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Luis
Although I agree that a lot of people in the US drive their car as hard or harder than in Europe, the vast majority doesn't. To put things in perspective I would bet that well into the 50% of owners in continental Europe will drive in the above mentioned conditions. About the same proportion will have hit over 150mph (though infrequently).
You know us well. However, those of us on the forum aren't "average" owners, we're "enthusiast" owners.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]

You can't be wrong by not being convinced, but you have no proof that there has not been a failure because of the original bolts. The fact the old bolts have been discontinued for the new would indicate you are guessing on the wrong side of the odds.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B]The race track arguement does not make sense.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:31 AM

Received 5,036 Likes on 3,040 Posts

While I agree 100% there is a major difference in the majority of the driving patterns between the US and Europe, I also agree that Honda needs to be upfront and make the necessary 'upgrades' to the US cars quickly.

For example, I never sat in an NSX but I'm aware of NSX snap ring problem. Doesn't Honda realize that enthusiasts are can make or break a company's reputation? Have you checked on NSX sales since its first year?

As enthusiasts we are the people who freely offer advice, good or bad, about who's building the best product and who stands behind their product. Our advice is often sought by fellow associates who are not car lovers but who recognize we are. We are not the type to just shrug our shoulders.

Some auto companies would love to have Honda's problem. If they could repair "just" 25,000+ cars in the US and save or repair their image -- they would welcome it because their image has dropped so low nothing can bring it back.

If America Honda doesn't give a shit about their flagship car -- what does that say about them. The clock is ticking.

As for any owner still under warranty (most all I suspect) I recommend you drive the car's the way they were intended. If Honda is intending them to grenade as some suggest - so be. Honda can then replace the whole engine and continue to dig themselves into a hole they can't get out of. In this day age of the internet I don't believe any car company can bury a problem the way they were able to in the past.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by txst
[B]

cdelena is absolutely correct - we have no proof that there has not been a failure because of the original bolts.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bguernsey
[B]

I think you're missing the point: Honda's attitude with respect to US customers.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Sev

Originally posted by cdelena

Because 25K cars times a recall cost of about $350 each will cost AHM at least of 8.75 million dollars, but they can fix a few dozen and deny a few dozen for much less and then the warranties will be up and it is no longer their problem. Simple economics with an inferior customer service attitude.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It is sad bad true. AHM gets a big when it comes to their attitude and customer service.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by txst
[B]
I just want to make it clear: It's not that I am convinced that we don't need the new bolts here or that these bolts will improve the reliability of our engines - we may very well need them.

Quick Reply: Update to the update on the European Service "recall" (Oil Bolts)