S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Vented rear rotors?

Old 11-19-2001, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vented rear rotors?

I know MG racing has some, but they haven't proven themselves yet, and by the looks of it, are probably really expensive. Does anyone make a relatively inexpensive vented rear rotor for our cars?

I just chewed up my rear rotors from the last 2 track events, so I'll need new ones before the next one. Considering I got the rear rotor temps well above 500 degrees, I'd like to try a vented rear rotor that I wouldn't mind chewing up with my R4 pads.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd like some too, but I'm not sure that vented rotors will be possible without a different rear caliper, since the thickness will be greater.

The general concensus seems to be, however, that rear brake problems are the result of the fronts getting overloading and giving up, thereby transfering too much of the braking responsibilities to the rears. Some people have gotten much improved rear brake performance by improving the front's cooling via air ducting.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:49 AM

The MG Rotors come in four (rear and front) price is $795.00 slotted and drilled

Spoon also makes a set of rotors.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B]I'd like some too, but I'm not sure that vented rotors will be possible without a different rear caliper, since the thickness will be greater.

The general concensus seems to be, however, that rear brake problems are the result of the fronts getting overloading and giving up, thereby transfering too much of the braking responsibilities to the rears.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:30 PM

I would recommend different pads . Pads should not eat up rotors . Your problem may be the rear brakes are not retracting from rotor causing heat build up and wear . If the rear pads don't slide in retainers this will cause problems . Some rear pads are reworked pads that fit other cars . If this is not done correctly or pad thickness is not the same as stock problems will arise .

If pads are not bedded correctly they will glaze creating a increase in temperature and will ruin rotors .
I know of no company that makes vented rear rotor that is
Old 11-19-2001, 07:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwb1
[B]I would recommend different pads . Pads should not eat up rotors . Your problem may be the rear brakes are not retracting from rotor causing heat build up and wear . If the rear pads don't slide in retainers this will cause problems . Some rear pads are reworked pads that fit other cars . If this is not done correctly or pad thickness is not the same as stock problems will arise .

If pads are not bedded correctly they will glaze creating a increase in temperature and will ruin rotors .
I know of no company that makes vented rear rotor that is
Old 11-19-2001, 07:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Perhaps you're confusing vented with slotted?
Old 11-20-2001, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some photos from my album of upcoming dwb1's brake system.
Rear rotos and front.

click thumbnail: fall8, fall9, fall13 and colors5
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bellhan/lst?.di...llcolor&.view=t
Old 08-30-2006, 12:45 PM

are there any rear vented rotor kits that come with a caliper or fit the stock caliper? searching through s2ki only gets me 3 year old threads... what gives?

btw some of these comments are amung the worst i've ever seen. the problem obviously lies in teh fact that the rear rotor is not ventilated and retains much more heat.

if braking efficacy can in fact be transfered to the rear because the fronts are "overloaded" then that simply means that the rears HAVE more to offer and don't offer it on the regular.

getting a big brake kit to "alleviate" the rear ONLY decreases overall braking force and stopping capability. and people generally run a staggered tire that's larger in the rear too right??? you have to make use of that traction somehow.

and i thot s2ks were track gangsta.... *shakes head*
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus did you see the age of the last post? It's 5 years ago.

Quick Reply: Vented rear rotors?