S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

VSA/DBW downsides?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSA/DBW downsides?

I'm in the market for a S2k, and my inclination is to get a 06+ for the latest tech (and the tune-ability with a Flashpro). However, it would seem that many think the VSA/DBW variants are dumbed down and less of a true experience over the AP1s and even early AP2s.

Can the VSA be completely disabled via the dash button? If so, it would seem that there aren't any real downsides to that particular feature, and it shouldn't play a part in deciding which S2k to set my sights on. Or, maybe there are potential negatives of the VSA (and/or DBW) system(s) that I'm overlooking and make a pre-06 more desirable.

I will NEVER be happy stock, so an intake, full exhaust, and Flashpro are absolutely mandatory for me in a 06+. However, I think I could be just as happy (if not happier) with a s/c'd AP1 for the same price. I'm thinking maybe the implications of the the VSA and DBW could play into my choice. Thanks for any input!
Old 01-08-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hnda4lf
I'm in the market for a S2k, and my inclination is to get a 06+ for the latest tech (and the tune-ability with a Flashpro). However, it would seem that many think the VSA/DBW variants are dumbed down and less of a true experience over the AP1s and even early AP2s.

Can the VSA be completely disabled via the dash button? If so, it would seem that there aren't any real downsides to that particular feature, and it shouldn't play a part in deciding which S2k to set my sights on. Or, maybe there are potential negatives of the VSA (and/or DBW) system(s) that I'm overlooking and make a pre-06 more desirable.

I will NEVER be happy stock, so an intake, full exhaust, and Flashpro are absolutely mandatory for me in a 06+. However, I think I could be just as happy (if not happier) with a s/c'd AP1 for the same price. I'm thinking maybe the implications of the the VSA and DBW could play into my choice. Thanks for any input!
Disable traction control? Of course. Just need to yank a fuse or two and you can totally disable anything.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Press the VSA button on the dash and it's disabled. The only hassle is you have to do it every time you start the car. You'll soon tire of that and just leave it On all the time. Like the F1 drivers do. I'm sure VSA saved my butt accelerating on the street and having the car fishtail like a Mustang leaving car-and-coffee. Big car-wash exit drive was right there and the street must have been soaked in soap. Of course I'll only tell you guys it was VSA -- I want everyone else to think I'm a car handling god.

I drove a different car for a couple of years before I discovered there was no mechanical connection to the intake (not a S2000). Yep DBW. It's a non-issue. And since the 2006 and later cars can have their ECUs modified it's even more of a non issue.

Drive a stock pre-2006 and then a Gernby FlashPro tuned 2006 or later. Compare mid range power. A buddy with a quick 2002 (AP1) now refers to mine as "a beast."

Looking for a car? Make a priority list. Stuff at the top is paramount. Stuff at the bottom is not. As I've noted (several times) color was not on my list at all. List was headed by 2006 or later so I could get a tuneable car without recourse to a dyno and guys I don't know. Your list will vary.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 01-08-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Yes, the vsa button turns off vsa entirely. Nothing remains active.

The dbw throttle is largely seamless. You don't realize its there. There is still a cable, still a throttle return spring. So pedal feel itself is similar, if not identical. Cable goes to a box under hood. That box then electrically controls throttle butterfly.

Over the top purists sometimes bemoan dbw, saying the feel is different. But I wonder how much of that is real, and how much is psychosomatic, fueled by disdain for anything that sacrilegiously contradicts their vision of the ideal drivers car.

Afterall, many also bemoan vsa, even though it can be disabled at the touch of a button. Is it really such a hardship to press a button each time you drive your car if you think vsa is evil?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No downside in having VSA. As others have said, you can easily turn it off should you ever want to but I leave mine on all the time on the street. I figure if it kicks in, you want it to to save you and your car from leaving the road. As long as you drive below 9/10 on the street, you’ll never notice it and, in IMHO, if you’re driving 10/10 on the street, you need a lot more than VSA to save your butt.

I bought an ‘05 S2k new and then bought an ‘07 two years later (in the same color) specifically to get VSA. I had installed the RaceLogic Traction Control system in the ‘05 but, while nice, its not as good as true VSA. I had both cars together for a couple of months and the ‘07 started and idled smoother and I couldnt tell the difference between the DBW and the cable throttle of the older one. The ‘05 only had 9900 miles on it when I sold it so it was still relatively new.

my 2 cents!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

VSA can't be turned off when my wife drives the car

Our Mazda 5 has DBW- absolutely wouldn't be able to tell it was. Driving a DBW s2000, no difference either. But, whats really the bonus has been mentioned above- Flashpro. Compared to my '03, the tune adds an urgency to the drive.

darcy
Old 01-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

The elephant in the room here is the 8K vs 9K redline between AP1 and AP2 in stock form. Technology is great but raw is just raw but depends on what you seek.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if you can get the right car 06+ is worth it for the VSA alone. trust me not everyone is a race car driver...
Old 01-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

I have an 09. I like the default of it being on in case I forget.

It has saved my bacon a few times. Car is still in one piece and not imprinted on a jerk who thought he was by himself on the road as well as zippy turns on cold, wet roads. (Pilot SS, summer, good shape too.)

I have pushed it a few more when it is safe to do so and get a feel for how it works. It works well.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note, if you ever go square wheel/tire setup VSA kicks in annoyingly early (due to the mismatch in tire rotation speeds). It is intrusive enough to require disabling it every time you go for a drive, otherwise you get a pulsating brake application on the outside front wheel when taking a spirited turn

Quick Reply: VSA/DBW downsides?