S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Want to drop the car!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to drop the car!

I've finally decided to drop MY07, after much deliberation with..myself . I convinced myself that i would constantly pull out the plywood neccessary to get my car up my driveway and into the garage without wrecking my bumper. Now I'm stuck though, I'm not sure how to go about this process. I read somewhere that just buying lowering springs will throw off my handling and that the way to go is coilovers, yet at the same time, most fellow s2k owners that I come accross have used springs. Coilovers are obviously extremely expensive, but I sure as hell don't want to put something crappy on my pride and joy. If someone could explain which might be the better route for me, i'd sincerely appreciate it!

also, I don't track my S....as of yet, i'm new to the driving enthusiast world. I am also planning to go FI if that makes a difference..definately another reason the 3k price tag on some nice penske coilovers makes me cringe.

I really appreciate the help guys!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Jrz

I got some genuine Tein S springs put on for about 2 months now and from the 1st day I noticed that the ride is not that sporty. I noticed when I hit certain bumps or dips that that car bounces funny. I thought that it was just because I needed an alignment. Well, I waited for a little over a week for the springs to settle and got my alignment. The guys told me that only the camber was off by a little. The car still rides like that now so, after I use it a little more to get something back for what I spent, the moment I order new wheels, I'm getting some sort of lower priced coilovers. Please don't just go by my personal experience and wait for others to reply with their input as mine might be an isolated case. Good luck
Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coilovers are overkill if you don't track your car IMO.

FWIW, I had springs and was FI. Never once considered coilovers.

Others will swear by them, but for your application, springs will do just fine.

Tim
Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 PM
AP2

if you just want a subtle drop then springs, but if you want to slam the car and dial your suspension in for some serious performance than get some coilovers...for me i was on tanabes they felt great and gave the car a nice stance, but being in san diego i have to ride low cause silentdancer, IIGQ4U, and BSerious made my car look 4x4
Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are Eibach the springs to get if you don't want to blow your stock shocks? i've heard good things about them..

i also want to drop my car about 1" or so. i figured that buying springs and regretting it wouldn't be as bad as buying coilovers then regretting it.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 AM

so setting up new springs on my ap2 coilovers will throw off my handling? Would new bushings help the issue?.......also, is anybody having rubbing issues?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM

I have springs on my 07, Espelir ASDs which are quite low. As with any springs lowering the car, you will experience more bumpsteer, which is what some members above are reporting with their cars "bouncing funny." The handling remains pretty much the same and you have to get used to the bumpsteer. An alignment should fix most of it.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 AM

I would only get coilovers if I had the extra $$$ or tracked the car. I have the S Tech's and have felt very little difference (if any) versus the stock ride. The S Tech's lower the car an inch or so, while I've heard that Eibachs and others go lower.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 AM

would the anti bumpsteer kit resolve this problem? I'm thinking about buying Tein or Espelir's myself...
Old 09-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Only word of advice I would give on this subject is to buy a decent setup, and go the distance if you do anything. What I mean by that is, don't just buy coil springs. If you decide to go with springs, make sure to get new shocks. The Koni Yellows are a personal favorite of mine. Coilovers aren't a bad idea either, you just might not need them if you're just trying to make the car look better by lowering it. I had springs on my car when I first bought it, and it felt extremely unstable. It made me very nervous.

Quick Reply: Want to drop the car!