S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Water Leak on Passenger Side Door Appears on S2000 Door Sill

Old 02-10-2001, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just experimented with a hose this afternoon trying to pinpoint the source of the water leak every time I wash my car (by hand). When the hose is placed just ahead of the mirror on the front edge of the window, I notice drops of water will appear inside my car on the S2000 sign on the door sill, meaning the water is entering from the inside of the door, behind the rubber seal. Has anyone who has taken apart the door panel noticed any seals inside the door which would prevent water from entering the inside of the car? Not sure how to fix the leak....any suggestions? Or, should I take it to the dealer?
Old 02-10-2001, 03:49 PM

HopkintonMA,

I always have had water droplets on the metal part of the door sill after washing my car, but never up to the S2000 plastic logo.

You might want to have the dealer check this one out. it sounds like an easy fix.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:51 PM

I believe this is by design, what you see is water from the drainage holes in the bottom of the doors, i have this on both sides when washing the car too.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:53 PM

Was going to take off the door panel myself before taking it to the dealer if someone here who already has had the panel off recalled seeing any rubber seals in there.....thinking if there were seals in there, mine might just be loose.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:59 PM

Bassman,
Sounds like maybe you should have your car checked out by the dealer too....I dont think that Honda would have designed the door seals to allow the water to enter the interior of the car. The S2000 logo on the door sill is inside the car, past the rubber seal, and past the drain holes you are referring to. The door drain holes are on the exterior part of the door, outside of the seals.
Old 02-10-2001, 04:07 PM

Aha, have to check that out. Actually i never looked, just took for granted it was the drainage holes... Thanks for pointing that out, i'm off to the dealer!
Old 02-10-2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by HopkintonMA
Was going to take off the door panel myself before taking it to the dealer if someone here who already has had the panel off recalled seeing any rubber seals in there.....thinking if there were seals in there, mine might just be loose.
HopkintonMA,

I have already had the door panels off a couple of times and do not recall seeing any rubber seals in there.

Anyone else?
Old 02-10-2001, 04:09 PM

Hopkinotn, I think what Bassman is saying is that 'by design' once water gets in the door then the drain holes will let it out. However, the real issue is why is the water getting in in the first place. It must be leaking past the seals on the outside of the window at the bottom of the window/top of the door body work.

I notice when I wash my car that if I chamois dry the window then lower the window and raise it again it wiil have water droplets on - this water must be getting on the window from inside the door frame which suggests there are a second set of windows seals (probably felt) below the first. These (by now damp) second set must be what is smearing the windoww when it goes up again - I suggest you check this set second set is working properly in your vechicle.
Old 02-10-2001, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by 2kturkey
I notice when I wash my car that if I chamois dry the window then lower the window and raise it again it wiil have water droplets on - this water must be getting on the window from inside the door frame which suggests there are a second set of windows seals (probably felt) below the first.
2kturkey,

This is one "feature" I do not like about this car.

Once I clean my windows after a wash, putting the top down within the next 12 hours, is a guarantee of water stains on the side windows.
Old 02-11-2001, 11:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Howdy Hop. Have been applying the Silicone lubricant to the seals as recommended by Honda? If not the seals are losing some compliance and may be the cause of your leaks?

Quick Reply: Water Leak on Passenger Side Door Appears on S2000 Door Sill