S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Weight reduction NA with tune and bolt ons VS Base kit SC

Old 08-26-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weight reduction NA with tune and bolt ons VS Base kit SC

Hey all,

I have an AP1 and can't decide if I want to go with a CT or SOS SC base kit or reduce weight and dyno tune the car. For about the same amount of money (weight reduction and NA will likely cost a little more) I can reduce ~100 pounds, add full bolt ons, upgrade diff (stage 1.5 puddymod) with 4.44 gears, and purchase a stand alone EMS and have the car dyno tuned. The 2nd option with a base kit SC also sounds like a good option. While the SC may sound like the obvious choice, I'm leaning more towards NA as it will likely be more reliable and fun to build as it can be done step by step versus just saving ~7K and have the SC thrown on. I could also SC later once all the weight reduction and bolt one have been done. Thought and opinions greatly appreciated!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

You will not get anymore horsepower by weight reduction and a minimal increase with the "right" bolt ons, the SOS kit is pretty bulletproof as is the Comptech kit from what I have read and seen. You should not experience any reliability issues with either, turbocharging is a different game though.

Last edited by Hfreak; 08-26-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you ever ridden in a boosted S2000? If not, you should. Boost and weight reduction are the way to go in my humble opinion.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I've been tempted by the Supercharge idea but I have resisted. I am sure it is a wonderful improvement. But, I suspect I would end up losing my drivers license in short order.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Is the purpose to improve lap times or is this only a street cruiser? If the former well as the saying goes HP increases speeds in the straights weigh reduction increases speeds everywhere. If this is street car I couldn't see going crazy in weight savings but maybe that's just me.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For now the car is a weekend warrior, losing 100 ibs from the car is fairly easy and shouldn't really impact comfort. Never been in a boosted S.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Agree on the useless of "weight savings." Unless you're turning the car into a race car and gutting it and are getting beat by 1/10 second per lap. Just like golf it's not us, it's our equipment. Skip the cheeseburgers at lunch. Same weight savings, and the car won't be any faster, but at least you'll look better.

The S2000 engine is pretty much maxed out as is. Even custom exhaust, intakes, and individual throttle bodies can only gain a small amount of power (e.g. the Speed Academy BadasS2000 in Toronto). A supercharger will bolt on in a weekend but the entry fee for this performance seems to start at $4,000.

-- Chuck
Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Ive had this car supercharged at all incremental boost levels with the pinnacle ending up being a water/meth injected 18-19 psi with a Novi1200/Comptech retrofit, which put me around 450whp. Last couple years ive been back to NA with lowered vtec and typical bolt ons, no real weight savings because I cant go without AC/DD comforts.

A base 6psi supercharger is marginally quicker then a lightened NA/tuned car, its not earth shattering. In fact you might find it disappointing because your expectations are so much higher for the car when you finally go boost, but your adding roughly 80lb and most all the power at that little boost level only starts to overcome that weight at about 6k and building peak power at redline.

A base kit will be new and fun for a week and then you will get used to it, ultimately just wetting your pallet for more, and then comes the road the rest of us have found ourselves on, more boost and never quite being satisfied. With this road comes more money, more broken parts and sometimes after years of this life, you decide to throw in the towel and go back to where you started which is NA because you cant bare to sell the car, but cant bare to keep dealing with problems and an empty wallet either.

Now ive generally had bad luck compared to many with blowing rear ends, trans and motors regularly, so depending on how you drive, frequency and everything else, could be worth going down that road, but you wont really know till you get there. Just wanted to share my experience. I have no plans to go back to boost. Ive adjusted/re learned to appreciate the power it has with a few tweaks ive done and really just enjoy not having that gut worry anymore wondering if im going to have any car drama this time I take it out for a drive today. I get to road course my car once a year with friends too which I enjoy and still put down faster lap times then cars with much more power, Supercharged S2000 included. You can still build a reasonable NA bolt on S2000 that can be wicked fast in the right hands and more importantly reliable with longevity. Boost in this car is super fun though, all the way up until it isn't.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-27-2017 at 10:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by s2000Junky:
Bob A (SD) (08-29-2017), HarryD (08-28-2017), rpg51 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

boost it !!!!

if you goal is to make your car accelerate faster in a straight line then all mods that dont include boost is nothing but a heartache and a waste of time. Boost can turn a slow car into a fast one. NA mods will turn a slow s2000 into a slightly less slow s2000.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Ive had this car supercharged at all incremental boost levels with the pinnacle ending up being a water/meth injected 18-19 psi with a Novi1200/Comptech retrofit, which put me around 450whp. Last couple years ive been back to NA with lowered vtec and typical bolt ons, no real weight savings because I cant go without AC/DD comforts.

A base 6psi supercharger is marginally quicker then a lightened NA/tuned car, its not earth shattering. In fact you might find it disappointing because your expectations are so much higher for the car when you finally go boost, but your adding roughly 80lb and most all the power at that little boost level only starts to overcome that weight at about 6k and building peak power at redline.

A base kit will be new and fun for a week and then you will get used to it, ultimately just wetting your pallet for more, and then comes the road the rest of us have found ourselves on, more boost and never quite being satisfied. With this road comes more money, more broken parts and sometimes after years of this life, you decide to throw in the towel and go back to where you started which is NA because you cant bare to sell the car, but cant bare to keep dealing with problems and an empty wallet either.

Now ive generally had bad luck compared to many with blowing rear ends, trans and motors regularly, so depending on how you drive, frequency and everything else, could be worth going down that road, but you wont really know till you get there. Just wanted to share my experience. I have no plans to go back to boost. Ive adjusted/re learned to appreciate the power it has with a few tweaks ive done and really just enjoy not having that gut worry anymore wondering if im going to have any car drama this time I take it out for a drive today. I get to road course my car once a year with friends too which I enjoy and still put down faster lap times then cars with much more power, Supercharged S2000 included. You can still build a reasonable NA bolt on S2000 that can be wicked fast in the right hands and more importantly reliable with longevity. Boost in this car is super fun though, all the way up until it isn't.
I enjoyed your well-written and thoughtful insight. A shame it will likely fall on deaf ears.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction NA with tune and bolt ons VS Base kit SC